NaCl Development Environment - crash on startup

Michael Fox

Mar 3, 2017, 12:00:15 PM3/3/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Not sure if this is the right place to report, but:

I tried installing NaCl Development Environment under Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) and it crashes about 1 second after startup. I barely have time to see the box which says something like "Performing Initial devenv Setup" and then its dead.

I tried two different (mac) computers and got the same result.

Lots of people are making similar complaints for several months on the products support page, without answer:

I've never used this before so I don't know how to investigate further.

Michael Fox

Mar 3, 2017, 12:30:59 PM3/3/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Works if I download an older version of Chrome, specifically: 54.0.2840.71 (Official Build(64-bit)

I also notice this thread is probably talking about the same issue: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/native-client-discuss/XFJCgs8kY7w

Bennet Yee (余仕斌)

Mar 3, 2017, 12:36:05 PM3/3/17
to Native Client Discuss
have you tried going to chrome://flags and turning on NaCl (to enable it to run everywhere, as opposed to only from the chrome web store)?  i seem to recall having to do this to get the NaCl dev env installed.  not sure if the flag is needed after installation.  -bsy

bennet s yee
i usually don't capitalize due to mild tendonitis

Michael Fox

Bennet Yee (余仕斌)

Mar 3, 2017, 4:51:56 PM3/3/17
to Native Client Discuss, native-c...@googlegroups.com
ah. i guess i should have tried it out before the knee-jerk answer. my apologies. i see the same problem too.  i'm not sure if google is allocating any engineering to NaCl these days, but hopefully if there are you'll get a response on one of these groups (+native-client-dev).  if i had to guess, it's some pepper API change.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/native-client-discuss.

lael.c...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2017, 12:00:20 AM3/5/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
It‘s definitely a regression which had been confirmed by developers. It affect several apps, I mean not only the development environment.

If you still want to use the in‑browser extension just use old versions of chrome or chromium until the year for the bug fix come.

lael.c...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2017, 12:09:46 AM3/5/17
to Native-Client-Dev, native-cli...@googlegroups.com