Real-time camera API migration

fathy.b...@ubleam.com

Sep 11, 2017, 10:55:28 AM9/11/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hello,

We've been using Native Client to build cross-platform augmented reality applications. It's been great and we're fully satisfied.

However we've recently found that this technology is deprecated and we are moving to Emscripten.
For our app we need two things, a real-time camera stream buffer - eg. NV21, YUV - and a GL content to draw our stuffs. No problem for the GL parts, WebGL gives use everything we need.
But the getUserMedia API does not answer to our needs, it does not provide a raw buffer (when can use drawImage + getImageData or glTexImage2D + glReadPixels but it's painfully slow because of the roundtrip).

We love the Chromium project and we're ready to help experiment and code if needed, we just need a solution to get a raw camera buffer like Pepper provided us. Until then I think we're gonna use Node.js native modules inside something like nw.js to get raw buffers, but this is definitely a missing feature (I know it's more of a W3C issue but I think that Chrome should provide something until they move).

Regards,

Fathy Boundjadj
Software engineer @ Ubleam