Android app: active and starred

Amberly

Jun 4, 2012, 9:23:07 AM6/4/12
to MyLifeOrganized
I am using the full version of the android app and desktop PC. The
problem is that when I look in the outline view, I see everything.
When I look in the Starred view or the Active by Context view, only
some of the tasks show up and I don't understand. In the Outline, for
example, I have 15 items starred, the Starred view says that there are
7 starred, but when I open it, only three show up.

In my Active by Context view, only 14 of the 65 items in my to do list
show up (most of which should be active, as I am just using it for
current items--I haven't put long-term things in there yet.)

Thanks!

Lisa Stroyan

Jun 5, 2012, 7:32:54 AM6/5/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Does this happen on both platforms, or just Android?

In MLO Help on the desktop, search for Active and look at the top entry. Does anything there help?

It does sound like something strange is going on, because Starred on Android shows even hidden and inactive tasks that are Starred. You should see everything that is starred...I would focus on that. You are talking about the regular Starred view, not the Active Starred?

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see this in a test profile, but you might try it, just in case. Try creating a new profile (Tap on All Tasks) from the Tutorial. Do you see everything you add a Star to there?

Lisa

Lisa

Lisa Stroyan, mailto: lstr...@gmail.com

Lisa Stroyan

Amberly Chirolla

Jun 5, 2012, 3:42:19 PM6/5/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

I don't have zoom or filters on. I haven't figured out the active problem yet, but I did figure out that whether or not the item shows up in the Starred list (not Active Starred) is related to the context.  About half of them show up and half don't.  So if I change "pick up drycleaning" from @Errands to @Computer (or just add @Computer as one of the contexts), it shows up. The number is the actual number of starred items whether or not it shows up in the list.  But I haven't figured out yet why certain contexts show up and others don't. Any ideas?

Lisa Stroyan

Jun 5, 2012, 5:44:48 PM6/5/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
What version are you running?  It sounds like you may be running into some kind of a bug...

Does @Errands show up in the @ by Context when you have a task with two contexts?

I saw something the other day where a context didn't show up. The task showed up under one context and not the other in @ by Context. I was in the middle of a big rename, and didn't have time to track it down, but it sounds like exactly what you are seeing...In hindsight I couldn't get it to happen and so I assumed that I had been mistaken and it had just sorted strangely (because the sort order is not the same as the desktop, which I've reported on the beta group). But now I'm thinking there is also a nasty bug in Contexts on Android perhaps related to rename.

Want to try an experiment?  Fully sync everything...then on the desktop, create a new Context, @NewErrands. Move all or some of the @Errands to @NewErrands, sync, and see if they show up.   (Renaming the context didn't fix it when I saw this, but deleting the context and reassigning tasks did).

Lisa

Nick Clark

Jun 5, 2012, 5:46:53 PM6/5/12
to MyLifeOrganized
Try checking the times for the contexts on the desktop. I had a
problem with this on one context, and unfortunately I couldn't get it
to change so had to create a new context that was active all the time
and then delete the rogue context, moving all items to the new one.

Nick

On Jun 5, 8:42 pm, Amberly Chirolla <achiro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have zoom or filters on. I haven't figured out the active problem
> yet, but I did figure out that whether or not the item shows up in the
> Starred list (not Active Starred) is related to the context.  About half of
> them show up and half don't.  So if I change "pick up drycleaning" from
> @Errands to @Computer (or just add @Computer as one of the contexts), it
> shows up. The number is the actual number of starred items whether or not
> it shows up in the list.  But I haven't figured out yet why certain
> contexts show up and others don't. Any ideas?
> On Jun 5, 2012 7:39 AM, "Lisa Stroyan" <lstro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You don't have a filter or zoom set, do you?
>
> > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Lisa Stroyan <lstro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Does this happen on both platforms, or just Android?

> >> --
> >> Lisa
>
> >> ------------------------------
> >> Lisa Stroyan, mailto: lstro...@gmail.com <lstro...@gmail.com>
>
> > --
> > Lisa
>
> > ------------------------------
> > Lisa Stroyan, mailto: lstro...@gmail.com <lstro...@gmail.com>

Amberly Chirolla

Jun 5, 2012, 8:56:06 PM6/5/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Now that I'm back at my desktop, I resynced.  Now, I looked at Manage Contexts, and have found something.

I used Getting Things Done Beginners Action template to create mine.  The first three contexts are: !Actions !All Actions and !Errands (not to be confused with my @Errands).  I don't know what these are or why they are there, so I've just ignored them.  However, when I look at all my contexts in Manage Contexts, the ones inherited from the template all have !Actions and !All Actions in the "Included by Context" column.  What does this mean?  The Contexts that have !Actions and !AllActions in the "Included by Context" column do not show up in the Starred view.  The ones for whom that column is blank do show up.

I couldn't figure out how to change that column, so I created @Errands1, which did not have !Actions and !AllActions in the "Included by Context" column.  Now they all show up in the Starred view.  And many of them show up in the Active view too, but I still haven't figured out exactly what Active means and how to use it in my planning.  That will come next.

It would be really interesting if someone could explain what that template is and why it's working that way, but for now my problem is solved.

Thanks!
Amberly

Amberly Chirolla

Jun 5, 2012, 9:03:29 PM6/5/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I just realized that if I just delete the !Actions context, it deletes those from the column, and now everything works the way it is supposed to.

Another question that I have, though is that in the right hand panel you can check off "Included contexts".  What does this mean and how is it useful?  Thanks again!