1992 MOU between Myanmar and Bangladesh on repatriation of refugees

peggyb...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 4:37:13 AM9/21/17
to Myanmar Law
Hi all,

I don't suppose anyone has or knows where I could find a copy of the 1992 MOU between Myanmar and Bangladesh on return of refugees, or the MOUs from the following year between Myanmar and UNHCR?

Thanks,
Peggy

Eugene Quah

Sep 21, 2017, 5:19:35 AM9/21/17
to myanmarlaw@googlegroups com
Joint statement by foreign ministers here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=825382700965948&id=292365970934293

Eugene

Sent from a mobile device

Message has been deleted

Kim Jolliffe

Sep 22, 2017, 1:22:50 AM9/22/17
to Myanmar Law
Thanks for the document Eugene.

Bear in mind that she said 1993 deal. The 1992 was shelved in January 2012 after UNHCR pulled out due to concerns about forced repatriations. New MoUswere then signed with UNHCR in 1993 - with Bangladesh in May 93, and with Myanmar in November 1993, so she is probably referring to the the latter of those. Indeed, the 92 bilateral MoU was attached to the Bangladesh-UNHCR 93 agreement, and may have been attached to the Myanmar one too, but I am not sure.

I'm attaching a study that details some of this (see pages 13-15 especially). It is also available in clearer HTML format here: http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs/Abrar-repatriation.htm

Does anyone have copies of UNHCR's MoUs with Bangladesh (May 93) and Myanmar (Nov 93)?

Also, we should note that the Bangladesh Foreign Minister (speaking at the UNGA yesterday) did not repeat a committment to the 93 terms. She called for comprehensive UN action to create "safe zones". I have not read up on it in detail yet.

It would be great to stay up to date with anyone working on this. I have no immediate project but am watching and engaged.

Thanks

Kim
Repatriation_of_Rohingya_refugees.pdf

Kim Jolliffe

Sep 22, 2017, 1:23:26 AM9/22/17
to Myanmar Law
* I meant January 1993 - not January 2012!

kebart licayan

Dec 6, 2017, 5:19:38 AM12/6/17
to Myanmar Law
Hi all,

Does anyone of you already have the copy of it? I am also looking for such file but I couldn't find it. I would be glad to know if you have.

Thanks,
Kebart

Kim Jolliffe

Dec 7, 2017, 4:37:27 AM12/7/17
to myanm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I have located the ’92 bilateral agreement between GOM and GOB, and the recent ’17 deal.

I am looking for the UNHCR agreements of ’93 - one with GOB and one with GOM.

Kim

1992 Joint_statement_by_the_foreign ministers.pdf
Signed copy- Arrangement on Return (1).PDF

kebart licayan

Dec 19, 2017, 1:53:35 AM12/19/17
to Myanmar Law
Hi Kim,

Thank you for these documents. I am still looking for the same documents as well for my research.
I will share with everyone once I already have one.

Keb

Kim Jolliffe

Dec 19, 2017, 2:22:55 AM12/19/17
to myanm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, Keb.

Kim

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
--

---

Janelle Saffin

Dec 19, 2017, 3:05:39 AM12/19/17
to myanm...@googlegroups.com, kebart...@gmail.com
Dear Kebart,

Firstly I say many thanks.

I did not see an email from you or the documents.

May you please send again?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Myanmar Law" group.