Monitoring in Myanmar: An Analysis of Myanmar's Compliance with Fair Trial Rights

vivek...@justicebase.org

Oct 2, 2017, 12:50:40 AM10/2/17
to Myanmar Law
Dear Myanmar Law Group,

Today we publish Justice Base's latest report: “Monitoring in Myanmar: An Analysis of Myanmar’s Compliance with Fair Trial Rights".  The report details the findings of three Justice Base lawyers who followed 155 cases and observed 1,158 court hearings in Yangon Region’s Township and District Courts from 2013 to 2016.  Our work found that Myanmar’s judiciary struggles to comply with fair trial rights despite a number of domestic guarantees, including the constitutional right to a defence.   A copy of the report (English & Burmese) is attached.  We would be grateful for any thoughts or comments on the report and how we can move forward in implementing the recommendations and improving fair trial rights in Myanmar.

All the best,

Vivek Kumar

Justice-Base-Monitoring-in-Myanmar-An-Analysis-of-Myanmars-Compliance-with-Fair-Trial-Rights-ENG.pdf
Justice-Base-Monitoring-in-Myanmar-An-Analysis-of-Myanmars-Compliance-with-Fair-Trial-Rights-BUR-2.pdf