UV Transactions & SETPTR

Chuck Stevenson

Apr 25, 2016, 3:19:05 PM4/25/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Not allowed (@ UV10.3 on Windows. ISOMODE = 1) :

   BEGIN TRANSACTION
      . . .
      EXECUTE "SETPTR . . . "
      . . .
      COMMIT
   END TRANSACTION

At least vanilla uv does not allow it by default.
That can be overridden by including processor code 'H' in VOC SETPTR <4>.

WHY IS THIS A BAD IDEA?

Is it only because SETPTR ,,,,,3,BANNER UNIQUE XYZ
needs to increment DICT &HOLD& NEXT.HOLD?
If so, either avoiding that or changing DICT &HOLD& to type 19  would make it safe inside a transaction, right?

I'm trying to retrofit TRANSACTION / COMMIT / ROLLBACK into an old module of an old ap.  That is something I generally avoid, even though I usually write new code with that method.

TIA,
Chuck Stevenson