Pick/MVDB Today

Danny Spell

May 11, 2016, 3:35:21 PM5/11/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I used P1ME INFORMATION back in the 80s, and into the 90s I used PICK running on Linux.

Has it changed a lot in the past 15 years?

In the last 6 years, I've been in the MySQL space.

Is there a community edition of any of the PICK/MVDBs out there?
If so, which ones?

Thanks,
Danny

Dawn Wolthuis

May 11, 2016, 3:46:00 PM5/11/16
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny --

I used Prime Information back in the day too. I'm working with ONgroup Intl. They just announced a FREE production-usable version of MultiValue running on SQL Server Express (also free). There is a link from the homepage to apply to be part of the current tour of the product, resulting in an annual $0 license. It has MV BASIC, the MV query language and the usual colon prompt capabilities.

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today

Kevin Powick

May 11, 2016, 4:17:24 PM5/11/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

The mainstream MV players today are probably:

D3 [Pick] - Rocket Software
U2 - Rocket Software
Reality - Northgate Software
jBASE - Zumasys
OpenQM - Ladybridge Software (distributed by Zumasys)

Personally, I think once of the nicest implementations with great support and documentation, and available as a free developer version, is OpenQM.

All of the above run on Linux and Windows.  OpenQM runs on other platforms as wel,l such as OSX and even Raspberry Pi.

--
Kevin Powick