I really need help. Desperately.

Chris Kusmierz

Jan 23, 2015, 3:19:58 PM1/23/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

I have been maintaining a PICK based system for the last several years and have learned a lot but this time it is a  problem with the application not the platform. Does anyone know anyone who may be familiar with an application sold as PRINTPRO? It is a full business management system sold to printers and packaging manufacturers. I have a balance sheet that doesn't balance and I can't figure out why. When I look through the PROCs and programs my limited knowledge of PICK and the logic in the application fails me. Anyone help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Richard Wilson

Jan 23, 2015, 3:32:14 PM1/23/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com, Richard A Wilson
Any competent MV consultant should be able to look at the
logic that is causing you issues.

You'll will need to point the consultant to the reports where the imbalance
occurs and possible a similar report where your GL is in balance

1st question, Does the GL detail match the balance sheet on an account
level basis

Rich
> --

Richard A Wilson
Lakeside Systems
Smithfield, RI, USA
Voice 401-231-3959
Fax 206-202-2064

Peter McMurray

Jan 24, 2015, 4:52:20 PM1/24/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I think that you are probably wasting your time in considering the code of a package that has obviously worked for years. You have an accounting problem that the firm's accountant or auditors should identify. As Rich said identify the area first. Do the sub ledgers - Debtors and Creditors - agree with the control accounts? If so then the vast majority of transactions can be ignored. Does the depreciation agree with the Asset register, if so second problem area gone. Does the Bank reconcile? Yes I am a chartered Accountant as well as a 40 year Pick man and I have seen systems that create disasters such as one sided journal entries but these still needed a stupid action by a human to be identified before checking code. Another area to consider   are the unbalanced reports summary reports? If so do a full detail report and check that it is not just a new account incorrectly flagged. Good Luck, get an accountant not necessarily a Pick person to look in detail.

fwinans

Jan 26, 2015, 12:12:50 PM1/26/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I'd argue the other side;  if the code has been ok all these years then odd reports are maybe due
to rare and invalid data in the files, like maybe some end user entered escape codes into a
numeric field by making cosmetic 'corrections' with arrow keys.

 But you are right, they should try and narrow down where the bogus data is by
using all the info they can squeeze out of their existing code at the user level before the bring in
the qualified programmers.   It might be something readily apparent like 'hey, they managed to
enter a negative number here, I thought that was supposed to get barfed at as bad input!'

Frank

Rick Weiser

Jan 26, 2015, 1:14:25 PM1/26/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
While I understand the issue and I would do what a normal Pickie would do, the original post was from a Non-Pickie. He asked if anyone knew the company PRINTPRO.  I think his best bet is to find someone that knows the software and can easily and quickly figure out the where the issues reside.

So, Does anyone know the people who created this application?  Is someone still around that can help him?

Chris Kusmierz

Jan 26, 2015, 3:24:08 PM1/26/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
The issue has been resolved. Thanks for all the input.  After getting in touch with my local D3 VAR I was able to better understand what the various PROCs were doing and after hearing from one familiar with the application we were able to track down where it went off the rails. All is good again.

Thanks to all. BTW is was little bit of everything that went wrong.

fwinans

Jan 27, 2015, 10:23:09 PM1/27/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Ah.  So in point of fact, you needed help
disparately, not desperately.

frosty

Jan 28, 2015, 2:03:36 PM1/28/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 8:23:09 PM UTC-7, fwinans wrote:
Ah.  So in point of fact, you needed help
disparately, not desperately.

 POTM candidate!