mvBASE on Win NT 4.0 "Not Enough Disk Space"

Peter Gonzalez

Jul 26, 2017, 11:38:18 AM7/26/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi group! It has been a long time posting here but I'm getting back in the mv game.  Looking soon to play around with all the new web tools available.

I have an old mvBase 1.3.02 running on Win NT 4.0 and a message that displays "Not Enough Disk Space". This started happening last week and I have tried deleting files but the message still displays. I can't update files nor run report. (This system is only for archive search purposes. The production system is running on QM). Any suggestions? Did I not delete enough files?

Thanks,
-Peter G

Wols Lists

Jul 26, 2017, 12:29:34 PM7/26/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Where's the message coming from? Sounds like the problem isn't where you
think it is.

Can you network the drive to a newer system? I don't know whether you've
come across the "spacesniffer" utility, but the first thing to do is
check which drive is full. That's assuming you've got more than one
partition. How full does Windows Explorer say your drive(s) are?

Then check whether your temp directories are clogged up. Both at Windows
level, and in mvBase. Are there any hidden update directories in
c:\windows? Unlikely, but you never know ...

If you can run spacesniffer it'll give you a good idea where to free up
space.

And a common cause of problems is Window's pagefile.sys nicking a lot of
space - you might need to try and shrink that.

Cheers,
Wol

Peter Gonzalez

Jul 26, 2017, 2:58:17 PM7/26/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Will, thank you for responding. The message shows up on the user screen. there is plenty is disc space and the TEMP directories have been cleared. I'll check  the Windows pagefile.sys and see how that is going. The system is remote so I'll check it later.

-Peter G

Brian Speirs

Jul 26, 2017, 3:54:07 PM7/26/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
mvBASE runs all its multi-value files in a BLOB. It sounds as if your BLOB isn't big enough to accommodate your mv data.

You administer the BLOB(s) through the Administration tool. I don't recall whether you can change the size of your blob, but your other options would be to (a) save the data from your existing blob; delete it; create a new blob with a larger size; and restore the data; or (b) create a second blob which mvBASE will simply start using.

I never used option (b) but I believe that it will work.

HTH

Brian

Peter Gonzalez

Jul 27, 2017, 10:31:22 AM7/27/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hello Brian, you are correct about the BLOB. So thinking of that I asked the user to delete one unimportant large file and they are now able to generate their inquiries and reports. Having them do a backup and restore would be way over their heads and I'm not at heir location.

Thanks.
-Peter G