OMG Help... Accuterm cut and paste in QM

John R. Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 1:24:29 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I'm going to pull my hair out.

Every time I cut and paste in Accuterm while connected with QM it changes the case on all the text.  Uppercase becomes lower.  Lowercase becomes upper.... UGGGGGGGGGGGGH

I can't find any paste options regarding CASE, this must be something simple....

John Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 1:27:12 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I verified it's only QM.  It cuts and pastes fine in D3.
WEIRD!

Will Johnson

Dec 6, 2017, 1:50:09 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
It does this as well in our Universe on Windows implementation.

I wrote a routine called FLIP.CASE for this very reason.
I just run it, and do the paste into it, and it flips it for me.

This is the main part for your purposes

      ABC.UPPER = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
      ABC.LOWER = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
      CONV1 = ABC.UPPER:ABC.LOWER
      CONV2 = ABC.LOWER:ABC.UPPER
      COMMAND = CONVERT(CONV1,CONV2,COMMAND)

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:24 PM, John R. Stokka <jrst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm going to pull my hair out.

Every time I cut and paste in Accuterm while connected with QM it changes the case on all the text.  Uppercase becomes lower.  Lowercase becomes upper.... UGGGGGGGGGGGGH

I can't find any paste options regarding CASE, this must be something simple....

Mitchell Stevelman

Dec 6, 2017, 1:50:19 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

John,

Here is a suggestion…

Open the following web app.

https://convertcase.net/

copy/paste your info into the convertcase.net window.

At the bottom of the window are buttons for different conversions.

Towards the right is “INVERSE CASE” that will flip the case on your text.

There are other options as in “lower case” if you just want lower only.

Then copy and paste into Accuterm.

Hopefully that will resolve your issue for now.

Please let me know if that helps you hair pulling dilemma !

Best regards,

Mitchell

Mitchell Stevelman

mstev...@gmail.com

Rick Weiser

Dec 6, 2017, 1:52:08 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
John,

Here is my LOGIN paragraph for all of my QM accounts.  This will help you:

:ed md LOGIN
MD LOGIN
7 line(s)
----: P
0001: PA
0002: OPTION PICK
0003: OPTION QMBASIC.WARNINGS
0004: OPTION NO.DATE.WRAPPING
0005: TERM 120,40
0006: PTERM CASE NOINVERT
0007: ALIAS COPY COPYP
Bottom at line 7

Rick

Brian Speirs

Dec 6, 2017, 1:57:33 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi John,

It looks like everyone has already given you the answer ...

As a suggestion, rather than post your questions in this group, use the OpenQM group:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/openqm

Also, if you want a guide to getting started in OpenQM, see "Getting Started in OpenQM" at http://www.rushflat.co.nz/downloads.php

Cheers,

Brian

John Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 1:59:30 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Thanks!  You are a genius!  What on earth is that?!  Wow!

I'm thinking that QM might want to change the default to PTERM CASE NOINVERT lol.

John

John Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 2:02:06 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how to eliminate the

WARNING: Final END statement is missing

for the basic compiler.  This is a nuisance. :)

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Rick Weiser <yld...@gmail.com> wrote:

Brian Speirs

Dec 6, 2017, 3:09:44 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
$MODE OPTIONAL.FINAL.END

Have you looked through the help application (if you are on Windows) or the downloaded the html help pages (if you are on Linux). All this stuff is in there, and it is REALLY well organised.

Cheers,

Brian
To unsubscribe, email to: mvdbms+un...@googlegroups.com

John Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 3:22:10 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Yes of course I have.  Actually I'm looking at the QM.PDF right now and that OPTION is not even in there.  Neither is QMBASIC.WARNINGS as referenced in Rick's email below.

Cheers. :)

John Stokka

Dec 6, 2017, 3:28:43 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian.

I haven't really gotten into the compiler directives yet.  That's what I'm looking at now.

John

Zumasys Reply

Dec 6, 2017, 3:41:10 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
John -

The PTERM CASE INVERT default goes back to Universe and maybe Prime Information. It is similar to 'stty iuclc' in Unix. It really screws up terminal input because it has no concept of escape sequences that have alpha characters, so function keys, cursor keys, etc. often do not work. AccuTerm has an option "start with CapsLock on" which really eliminates the need for case inversion. As Rick recommended, add a PTERM CASE NOINVERT to your login paragraph. If you create a MASTER.LOGIN item in the VOC of the QMSYS account, with this paragraph, it will apply to all logins.

Thanks,

Peter Schellenbach
Zumasys
To unsubscribe, email to: mvdbms+un...@googlegroups.com

geneb

Dec 6, 2017, 4:02:56 PM12/6/17
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, Rick Weiser wrote:

> John,
>
> Here is my LOGIN paragraph for all of my QM accounts. This will help you:
>
> :ed md LOGIN
> MD LOGIN
> 7 line(s)
> ----: P
> 0001: PA
> 0002: OPTION PICK
> 0003: OPTION QMBASIC.WARNINGS
> 0004: OPTION NO.DATE.WRAPPING
> 0005: TERM 120,40
> 0006: PTERM CASE NOINVERT
> 0007: ALIAS COPY COPYP
> Bottom at line 7

The key bit is "PTERM CASE NOINVERT". :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Glen Batchelor

Dec 6, 2017, 4:07:23 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
That brings back memories. Working on XML parsers and QMOO code. Maybe I should stop wrenching on cars and ATVs in my free time and load up a copy of ScarletDME.

Glen.

geneb

Dec 6, 2017, 4:16:30 PM12/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, Glen Batchelor wrote:

> That brings back memories. Working on XML parsers and QMOO code. Maybe I
> should stop wrenching on cars and ATVs in my free time and load up a copy
> of ScarletDME.

Yes. Yes you should. :) Bonus, no banged knuckles or oil stains on your
clothing. :D

Brian Speirs

Dec 6, 2017, 4:24:05 PM12/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
It is on page 838 of the QM.PDF ...

Seriously, the PDF is hard work. Use the QM Windows help application. The content is exactly the same, but it is much easier to use. Likewise, the html help files contain the exact same content, but are organised just like the Windows help application.

Or, if you don't want to use local resources, use the online html help pages:  http://downloads.openqm.com/help/index.html

Cheers,

Brian

Martin Phillips

Dec 7, 2017, 4:36:51 AM12/7/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

This discussion seems to have been very active overnight (UK time) but I haven’t noticed an explanation of why QM behaves in this way.

As one response said, this "feature" originated in Prime Information many years ago and, because QM broadly follows the Information style systems, was replicated in QM.

The underlying issue here was that the command language was case sensitive and defined to be in uppercase. To make things easier for users who were continually switching between PI and some other application (imagine a Word document, for example), PI chose to apply "case inversion" so that the user did not have to hit the Caps Lock key every time they switched application.

QM was initially case sensitive and so adopted the same mechanism. Very early on, long before case insensitive files came along, we added a double lookup mechanism in both the command processor and the query processor. We first try finding a VOC or dictionary item using the casing as provided by the user and then, if unsuccessful, we try again with an uppercase version of the record id. Because all of the system supplied items have uppercase names, this effectively makes the system case insensitive as far as VOC/dictionary item names are concerned.

As QM has evolved, several case insensitivity options have appeared, including the possibility of having a case insensitive VOC (which is probably how things should have been all along). We cannot force this on users as we are aware of applications that make use of case sensitivity.

For application developers who are still following the uppercase convention, case inversion can be really useful though the inversion applied to cut and paste operations is extremely annoying. On the other hand, case inversion would be totally confusing to an end user of the application. There are various ways to turn case inversion off…

·        Use the PTERM CASE NOINVERT command, probably from within the LOGIN paragraph.

·        Use the equivalent PTERM() function in an application program.

·        Use the INVCASE configuration parameter to set the initial state to not invert.

·        Use the CONFIG command to change the setting of INVCASE.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB, England
+44 (0)1604-709200