MaVerick Open Source MVdatabase

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 23, 2018, 10:21:43 AM2/23/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Many years ago I was following MaVerick as an open source multi-value database. I just check on it and there has not been any development in many years. Does anybody have any insight into the status?  Is it a dead project?

http://www.maverick-dbms.org

-Peter G

Tony Gravagno

Feb 23, 2018, 1:55:48 PM2/23/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
It would be great if this industry had one basic FOSS MVDBMS. It doesn't need to be an Open version of a commercial offering, kept up to date with the upline. We should simply have something that works for learning and basic functionality.

Install it to a web server just to facilitate using BASIC for scripting rather than BASH, JavaScript, Python, or PHP.

Publish tutorials where newcomers can install a general-purpose platform to follow-along. Compare this to tutorials that are platform specific which will only get contributions from people interested in specific commercial offerings. I mean, there's no way in hell that Rocket Software will publish a FOSS DBMS, and no way they'll help people to learn QM, but if there is a FOSS MVDBMS that supports generic features, they might recommend that as a student option.

So, MaVerck doesn't need to be a full QM implementation, it should just work as a MVDBMS platform. Maybe changing goals and expectations there will help to necromance that noble initiative.

Marcus Rhodes

Feb 24, 2018, 10:01:50 AM2/24/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
In the mean-time, though, this might help: http://www.thinqware.com/services_training_install_openqm.html

Martin Phillips

Feb 26, 2018, 8:38:44 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Marcus,

The open source version of QM is still available. It is very out of date and only released for Linux but it can be used as a learning platform. A better solution, however, would be to use the free Personal Version as this does not require building and contains nearly all of the features of the full product.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB, England
+44 (0)1604-709200

Dawn Wolthuis

Feb 26, 2018, 9:13:03 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On the most recent version of the MV Family Tree at http://www.zumasys.com/pdf/the-multivalue-family-tree.pdf I opted not to include MaVerick. Without referring to my notes, my recollection is that there were no companies using it for production purposes and the development had been abandoned. Had there been even one company using it in production or if the dev team were still active, I would have kept it in the "Others" box in the lower right.

--Dawn

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 26, 2018, 10:44:02 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Tony, I totally agree with the need for FOSS. In the age of star-ups, NoSql and hack-a-thons who knows where a 3 dimensional virtual database would do to the IT world.

-Peter G

Glen Batchelor

Feb 26, 2018, 10:47:37 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
As long as it is just sitting there as a stale component it's not going to have any impact. It needs to be part of an overall free solution that gets adopted. You can try to promote your new polymer resin but unless you show it off in a new building product your marketing is pointless.

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 26, 2018, 10:48:14 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Marcus, thank you for this easy to follow QM setup with AWS this project would be a nice to try out. One of my to-do list is to create a few Youtube of working with QM.

-Peter G

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 26, 2018, 10:53:54 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Martin, does the current personal version include the QMclient API? If so, I would like to take it for a ride.

-Peter G

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 26, 2018, 11:13:03 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Dawn, were there any other flavors that didn't make the MV Family Tree? Our IT thinking of 30 and 20 years ago are so different from today's thinking maybe there is a second or third life for one of those flavors if they are FOSS.

-Peter G

Martin Phillips

Feb 26, 2018, 12:24:50 PM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

You get one interactive user, one QMClient session and one phantom. You do not get QMNet, replication or the bundled AccuTerm licence. To prevent use in a production environment, there is a fairly small limit on file size but this should not interfere with use for learning about the product.

Martin

Marcus Rhodes

Feb 27, 2018, 8:09:28 AM2/27/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Yeah, me, too.  http://www.thinqware.com/services_training_what_is_pick.html

Maybe we should collaborate.  I've been trying to put together a video on all the file-sizing issues, comparisons, whys and wherefores, ...  It's been months.  Sorry.

Peter Gonzalez

Feb 27, 2018, 9:57:30 AM2/27/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Marcus,
I just checked out your website and read that you worked for Columbia Ultimate and now you support the software. I worked at Equifax in the mid 90's and we used The Collector software on about a dozen locations before be migrated to Sequoia Sytems (yes, that Sequoia that the CEO got arrested for playing with the numbers)

I can't promise how fast or slow I'll have some video ready but I'll keep you in mind.

-Peter G