PUTTY and MvOn

Bob Dubery

Feb 23, 2018, 8:20:46 AM2/23/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi all,

I want to use the PUTTY Telnet server to connect to our machines running MvOn

This works mostly OK - better than the tool we were supplied with - but for one thing. I suspect that one thing is a PUTTY setting, but which one?

When I connect I get the usual prompt for my user name and I enter my windows domain\user name.

Then I get the password prompt - but the password is echoed back and visible as I type. Not good.

Any ideas?

Wol's lists

Feb 25, 2018, 5:29:37 PM2/25/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a full/half duplex problem. I'd be very surprised if
the password is being echoed back - I suspect the connection is
half-duplex so it's printing it as it sends it. You need to change the
connection to full-duplex so it requires the other end to echo it if
required. (Obviously, for passwords, it doesn't echo it :-)

> Any ideas?

Cheers,
Wol

Bob Dubery

Feb 26, 2018, 8:23:05 AM2/26/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks, Wol,

It does sound like that sort of thing.

I'm off work this week, and so cannot check the configuration now, but I did download and check the PUTTY help files because I couldn't remember seeing a duplex setting - and I still don't see one.

Dawn Wolthuis

Feb 26, 2018, 9:06:38 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I use PuTTY with MVON. I think you are using MVON# and I haven't tried PuTTY with that (on a different box or I would just give it a spin). Accuterm works with MVON#, so I'm quite sure PuTTY does too. If you have any issues with the terminal emulator or with the MV# Developer Studio (I'm partial to that tool for almost everything -- you can even bring up the telnet client on a tab there too), shoot an email to support. No one has asked me about other terminal emulators in a long time, so shoot a question to sup...@ongroup.com if Wol's suggestion doesn't work. Use Control-H as backspace in the keyboard settings. Try the PuTTY "raw" connection type too, just in case.

By the way, the MV# Developer Studio has been expanded for all sites, not just for SB+ sites, so let me know if you are not using it and would like to. I would like to get feedback, so if you have any opinions about it, shoot me an email at dawn.w...@ongroup.com.

--Dawn

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today