Restoring an account already in the FSI directory

Rick Weiser

Sep 15, 2017, 8:59:51 AM9/15/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi All,

I had a corrupt VME on D3 v10.2.2 and the only way to get it back was a full file load.  I have accounts that I want to put on this server that I only have a zip of the FSI directory.

How can I get D3 to recognize these accounts.  I have tried adding the following to the SYSTEM file:

1 - QS
2 - FSI:accountname

This did not work.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

Mark Taylor

Sep 15, 2017, 11:04:56 AM9/15/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Look at dm,bp qs.upd

Once your q pointer is there I believe all you have to do is do a system
restart as the qs.upd program is executed at coldstart.

Mark

Rick Weiser

Sep 15, 2017, 11:10:12 AM9/15/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Mark,

I have tried this.  I added the pointer to the MDS file and then ran qs.upd and it removed the pointer.  I added the pointer back, shutdown and restarted D3, no luck

There must be something else I need to do.

Thanks,

Rick

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 11:04:56 AM UTC-4, MTaylor wrote:
Look at dm,bp qs.upd

Once your q pointer is there I believe all you have to do is do a system
restart as the qs.upd program is executed at coldstart.

Mark

> Hi All,
>
> I had a corrupt VME on D3 v10.2.2 and the only way to get it back was a
> full file load.  I have accounts that I want to put on this server that I
> only have a zip of the FSI directory.
>
> How can I get D3 to recognize these accounts.  I have tried adding the
> following to the SYSTEM file:
>
> 1 - QS
> 2 - FSI:accountname
>
> This did not work.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Mark Taylor

Sep 15, 2017, 11:53:46 AM9/15/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Rick, you could try this...

Bring up the D3 File Manager. Create the account. Close the file manager.
Copy your backup account over the created database of the same name. Then
run qs.upd

It's worth a try.

Mark
>> > To unsubscribe, email to: mvdbms+un...@googlegroups.com

Peter McMurray

Sep 15, 2017, 7:40:58 PM9/15/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi
This raises two points:
First always keep a current copy of the VME by selecting the MDS with type D giving as a minimum
dm                                  d
mds                                 d
spooler                             d
then doing a file-save. This File-Save can then be used to restore the VME without disturbing the FSI accounts.
Second as this has not been done, in order to put the system back one can restore from the last good full save then I would individually delete the accounts that I want to refresh and restore them from the later backups. This ensures that space is not messed up and you have no issues. We regularly save relevant operational data accounts before doing things like Month End Roll overs so we always have the latest account saves available for disaster recovery or locating errors.

Zumasys Reply

Sep 16, 2017, 12:20:03 AM9/16/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Yes, Not sure why the qs.upd solution is not working for you but if all else fails,
yes Mark, Good idea to use the file manager to create the new account initially.
So create the new fsi account and new folder using the file manager.
so the control blocks and initial MD dict data windows files are created.
overlay your folder you had saved.
Then manually create the "QS!FSI:ACCOUNTNAME in the mds.

Just tested this and it works ok.
Allen.