UV GLOBAL.CATDIR - date last changed keeps changing

George Gallen

Jan 29, 2015, 4:06:17 PM1/29/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
We just had a very strange thing happen.  one of our globally cataloged programs
just started hanging when accessed.

I had to physically delete it from GLOBAL.CATDIR, then recatalog it and it was fine.

but in looking into I noticed that if I:

LOGTO UV
<esc> to get to TCL
SH to get to a shell
ls -lat catdir | more

That last updated date/time for a bunch of CATDIR entries have very recently been updated.
Does Universe re-catalog the global subroutines on a routine (no pun) basis?

We are on UV.10.0.0.2 - but it may be a hiccup with our OS (Fedora 19 - 64 bit)

George

Ladd, Ryan

Jan 29, 2015, 6:13:19 PM1/29/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

George,

  We are on 11.1.4 on AIX and see the same behavior as you (over 500 items modified in the past minute in catdir).

An old entry on the u2-users list mentioned this as well.  The response to that question was that UV maintains a count in the catdir which the MAKE.MAP.FILE  would then “dump” to the &MAP& file.

I tried to find an explanation in my admin and internals manuals around that but couldn’t find anything that seemed to fit.  Below is the original question and answer from 2008.

Ryan

http://www.mail-archive.com/u2-users%40listserver.u2ug.org/msg27363.html

Sep 03, 2008; 3:15am  Mats Carlid

Kevin King skrev:

> I have a client running UV 10.1 on a SuSE Linux box.  Every now and again,

> for no apparent reason, one of the items gets removed or hammered from the

> uv/catdir directory.  I don't specifically know whether it's being removed

> or hammered because when it happens people are usually pretty freaked out

> and getting it fixed (via recataloguing) is more the issue than determining

> why it's happening.  But here, on the backside of the most recent call on

> this issue, I see something interesting... the time stamps are changing on

> selected items in the catdir, and specfiically on the items that have

> historically manifested this problem!

> Is this normal?  Does Universe change the ls -l time on the catdir items or

> should I be on the lookout for some program doing this?

«  [hide part of quote]

uv  does maintain a usage count in the catdir files,

that is shown as number of calls in the &MAP& file.

-- mats

-------

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

donr...@yahoo.com

Jan 30, 2015, 10:25:41 AM1/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
George,

I'm running on AIX and a few of the programs in my catdir have recent dates which means it's not likely the OS.

I can't think of any reason the time stamp would change.

A lot of the programs still have the original time stamp from 2006.

Good luck,
Don Robinson

Chuck Stevenson

Jan 30, 2015, 2:35:36 PM1/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com, gga...@live.com
Each object file in catdir has a counter in it.  Every time the program is called, the counter is updated by the calling process.
It's useful information, but poorly implemented.  For one thing, it is a security hole: you can't make catdir read-only.
They should have had a separate file for the counters, sister to catdir directory to do this.
VMark, Ardent, Infomix, IBM, & Rocket have all been asked to change it but they don't.

Charles Stevenson

Jan 30, 2015, 3:50:16 PM1/30/15
to gga...@live.com, mvd...@googlegroups.com
zeroed by recataloguing, iirc.
i dont see any point in recataloguing everything.  Behavior will remain.
I dont know about how big the number can get.
The write every time a routine is called seems onerous,  but I've never noticed that it's a problem, when benchmarking against same but not in catdir.
Security hole is the strangest thing about it, to me.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:41 PM, George Gallen <gga...@live.com> wrote:
So, does the counter ever get zero'd?  and is there an upper limit?

every program that tried to run that routine would hang.
I tried recataloging - that did not help
I had to delete it first from catdir, then recatalog.

This was probably one of the most frequently called routines, I'm wondering
If I need to do some kind of program to delete and recatalog all my catdir
entries?

Thanks for the explanation

George

PS - Strange - my emails to the googlegroup are being returned undeliverable.

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:35:35 -0800
From: stevens...@gmail.com
To: mvd...@googlegroups.com
CC: gga...@live.com