MVSP Java library oddity...

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 10:53:12 AM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I've worked pretty extensively with the .Net MVSP library for v9 of D3.
It's a rather sparse, but very nice library.

I find myself needing to write an interface to allow a JBoss system to
access our D3 customer info, so I grabbed the MVSP Java library.

In writing a test app I discover that the MVString class has only an
extract method, no insert nor replace method. The .Net class library
equivalent does have these methods.

Am I missing something or did TigerLogic _really_ screw up on this one?

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]

Tony Gravagno

May 4, 2012, 7:08:35 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since I have looked at MVSP but as I recall there
wasn't a MVString in the original release, simply because they're just
passing around delimited strings. MVString seems to have been added
just for the convenience of parsing the strings. Well, anyone can do
that. I created a small library of .NET extension methods to get all
of the functionality not present in the core library. (Never had time
to publish this or my documentation *sigh* ) For Java, let's assume
the MVString class is "anemic", I'd start by creating a subclass with
whatever functionality they're missing, and just use that. I don't
have my code open but as I recall I did that for a few MVSP .NET
functions anyway where I found bugs.

I know you're just trying to determine if you're missing something,
and I know you can do all of this on your own. I'm speaking half to
you and half to the group.

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 8:36:51 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 4 May 2012, Tony Gravagno wrote:

> It's been a while since I have looked at MVSP but as I recall there
> wasn't a MVString in the original release, simply because they're just
> passing around delimited strings. MVString seems to have been added
> just for the convenience of parsing the strings. Well, anyone can do
> that. I created a small library of .NET extension methods to get all
> of the functionality not present in the core library. (Never had time
> to publish this or my documentation *sigh* ) For Java, let's assume
> the MVString class is "anemic", I'd start by creating a subclass with
> whatever functionality they're missing, and just use that. I don't
> have my code open but as I recall I did that for a few MVSP .NET
> functions anyway where I found bugs.
>
> I know you're just trying to determine if you're missing something,
> and I know you can do all of this on your own. I'm speaking half to
> you and half to the group.

Thanks Tony. I'd love to see your MVSP stuff some time - email me
off-list about it. I'm heavily involved in .Net and D3.

It astonishes me that they'd go to the effort of creating the library and
then go and do such a half-assed job at it. Yeah, I could sit down and
subclass it, but Raining Tiger (I _loved_ that Jon!) should step up to the
plate and finish the fskcing thing. I barely have enough time to write my
own code let alone fix unacceptable deficiencies(sp!!) in a commercial
product. I should have expected this considering the pure stupidity of
the Insert bug that was in the .Net library. The most cursory of testing
would have discovered that particular problem. I swear, their idea of
unit testing must involve unzipping their pants, going "Yep, got a unit!"
and then moving on. :)

g.