VBA broken, how to fix?

Albert Kallal

Dec 14, 2017, 6:22:09 PM12/14/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Well it had to happen “sooner” or later.

I have the dreaded broken VBA issue.

The symptoms are:

In Excel:

You try to open VBA editor, you get:

Out of Memory. This occurs FOR ALL AND ANY SPREAD SHEET.

(so just right click on a workbook – view code – you get above).

This is for any new, old sheet, and even ones I create on a new computer.

In Word:

Alt-f11 – simply does nothing.

In Access:

Any attempt to view or jump into code such as right click->design on a code module,

     and you get

Unexpected error; quitting

(access does not quit). And this message occurs for ANY and ALL existing databases. And you can even create a brand new blank database, and again you get the above. And this message includes if I create a blank database on another machine.

AND THIS ALSO includes if I launch access 2010, or exit, and then try launching access 2013 on the SAME machine.

AND AGAIN this is not limited to ANY particular data file (same issue if I create a blank new database). (and that includes a test of creating a blank database on anther machine, or on the existing machine).

There are a “good” many posts on the internet, that show the EXACT same problem as above.

Such as this one:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9920a61a-93cb-4ba5-a47a-4a5ba0b40363/excel-vb-editor-out-of-memory-unexpected-error-quitting?forum=exceldev

(but of course no answer or fix was found).

Here is a access one:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/microsoft-visual-basic-unexpected-error-quitting.1105900/

The above was access 2003. In my case, it is with 2010, and 2013.

In the above case(s), the only eventually solution was to re-format, and re-build the computer.

The issue however is:

A office repair – does not fix

A office repair as admin, does not fix

Un-install, re-install office – does not fix.

The other interesting symptom is that Access or excel or whatever that wants to run VBA code works just fine.

SO ALL VBA CODE RUNS FINE, the “key” point is no more VBA editor.

So what is lost is use of VBA editor.

So I never been able to solve the above issue “when” it occurs.

Anyone have any ideas short of re-building my computer?

Everything else on the computer runs just fine.

So I have seen this issue over the years, given my long and varied experience with Access.

I should note that this issue can occur  – office 2003, or 2010 or 2013.

In fact I have access 2003, 2010, and 2013.

NONE of the existing office applications can launch or use VBA.

(so all three versions of office).

However what I never seen was a “fix” for when this occurs.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I bite the bullet and format + rebuild my computer?

Albert

Wols Lists

Dec 14, 2017, 6:51:22 PM12/14/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 14/12/17 23:22, Albert Kallal wrote:
> Well it had to happen “sooner” or later.
>

> I have the dreaded broken VBA issue.
>

> The symptoms are:

Rather important piece of information ... what version of Windows are
you running?

Not that I can help, but this sounds like "dll hell" to me, something
has updated a dll on which something else relies.

The other point I would make is, have you installed any other program
recently? Okay, this harks back to Win95 :-) but I had the same problem
with Office95 and WordPerfect 6. Install Office over WordPerfect, and
the only way to get WordPerfect working again was format and re-install.
Install WordPerfect over Office, and everything worked fine.

Cheers,
Wol

RichardS

Dec 16, 2017, 6:26:26 PM12/16/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 23:22:09 UTC, Albert Kallal wrote:

Well it had to happen “sooner” or later.

I have the dreaded broken VBA issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I bite the bullet and format + rebuild my computer?

What I'd do, in order of desperation, is:

1) Make a full image backup of the computer in it's broken state (some 'fixes' can make matters worse so it's good to be able to revert to a less broken state.)

2) Do a System Restore back to a time when it was working.

3) Uninstall Office then run the removal tool: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1.  Uninstall and Visual Basic runtime stuff, if present.  Then scan through the registry looking for and deleting anything pertaining to Office. Also look in the nooks and crannies of the C: drive:  C:\users\<name>\appdata\local\...; c:\programdata; c:\program files\common files\.. Clear out all 'temp' folders etc. Then reinstall Office. This can be an arduous task but sometimes worth it. Easy to do damage but step 1) is your friend.

4) Set up a Virtual Machine instance of Windows, install office on it and use that until such time as the host computer really needs replacing/reinstalling.

5) Resign myself to the fact that now is the time that the computer really needs replacing/reinstalling.

Good luck.

RichardS

Dec 16, 2017, 7:08:31 PM12/16/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Sorry, forgot this one:

0)  Open the Registry Editor and delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA key.  Then try VBA again.

Albert Kallal

Dec 18, 2017, 5:33:56 PM12/18/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
My apologies - this clearly was the wrong group.

The problem is in outlook, I typed in mv, and hit tab key - it selected this the wrong group.

As a FYI, I un installed office, and deleted this as per reichards suggestion:

 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA key.  Then try VBA again.

I then also deleted (actually renamed)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VBA

After doing above, then re-install of office worked.

Again, thanks kindly to all here that in place of saying "wrong" group (which it clearly was),
the spirt of the pick community simply attempted to offer advice. (kinda have to give a thumbs up to everyone here)

But this was the wrong group, and again thank you to all offering help here.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada