OpenInsight 10 for MultiValue developers and users.

Martyn

Apr 25, 2018, 9:57:07 AM4/25/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Following the release of OpenInsight 10 recently, I have already begun receiving requests from existing OpenInsight developers and users as well as wider MultiValue users, to learn a little more about what the tool set offers developers and end users.

As a fist taste of the new tool set, I have begun to upload some videos to my personal YouTube channel and one such video is a 'very' quick, although long video, touching on the development environment, how things fit together, etc.

You can get to my YouTube channel here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQlgupnihVejmHBPzbKlJeA?

OpenInsight 10 truly revolutionises the development of modern desktop and web interfaces.  The tools  enable a huge amount to be done without code, but you have code support built right in and there are some very powerful debugging tools to make the process even easier and more robust for users.

This new, ground breaking version, includes support for many MultiValue databases (Universe, Unidata, D3, QM) and other can be supported on request.  We also have support for SQL databases and cloud databases (Couchbase being the first supported cloud system).  All of these data connectors see your existing data as though it were native OpenInsight Linear Hash data and therefore most of the tools work as designed, regardless of the underlying database.

Now, you can build lovely looking, highly functional desktop and web interfaces using a Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that has been built by developers, for developers.

If you prefer words, you'll want to check out the OI10 Features and benefits page on our website - http://www.revsoft.co.uk/openinsight_features.html.

Otherwise, simply drop an email into your local Revelation Software office and we'll be pleased to discuss your requirements and how OpenInsight 10 could help to further enhance your development process and the use of your deployed systems.

Peter McMurray

Apr 25, 2018, 4:49:02 PM4/25/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Interesting but I cannot find any mention of what character set it supports e.g. UTF-8, UTF-16 or is it limited to Extended Ascii.

stope19

Apr 25, 2018, 5:47:29 PM4/25/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

If you followed the referenced link: http://www.revsoft.co.uk/openinsight_features.html

then scrolled down to 'Internationalization' ....

Martyn

Apr 26, 2018, 8:30:12 AM4/26/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Peter,

OI10 is fully UTF-8 compliant and within the Application Settings is a simple switch to turn UTF-8 mode on or off, depending on your needs.  If you specifically need UTF-16, please let me know and I'll see what can be done.  However, UTF-8 is what most of our clients in Europe require.

Many thanks,
Martyn.

Kevin King

Apr 26, 2018, 10:11:13 AM4/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Is there any kind of a demo license available for learning OI?

Martyn

Apr 26, 2018, 10:23:42 AM4/26/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Kevin,

Yes, there is a 30 day evaluation of OI10 which is available from both www.revelation.com and www.revsoft.co.uk.  The former being the main US website (more technical based) and the latter being more sales based.

Best regards,
Martyn.

bcam

Apr 26, 2018, 2:47:04 PM4/26/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Martyn,

Congrats to you all on this momentous achievement and release.

I've been using OpenInsight since v2.1  and this release is like none other.  Looks fantastic!  Really enjoying it so far.  A lot of thought and consideration has been put into it you can tell.

Good luck.  BMC

Peter McMurray

Apr 26, 2018, 4:58:24 PM4/26/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Apologies I missed the section on internationalisation obviously my use of Google page Find was inadequate.
I must congratulate your use of UTF-8 with a simple switch as I have been trying to get this point through at D3 since 2010 when I first wrote the interface as Pick is 100% UTF-8 Data compliant for storage out of the box.

Martyn

Apr 27, 2018, 4:41:18 AM4/27/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Peter,

No worries, there was a lot of information in the page and I still think that we only scratch the surface.  Just this week, one of the developers here has begun showing me how much more we can do in OI10 without code.  I found myself deleting another chunk of code to launch a lookup window (pop-up) and have the users chosen record display in the form - all no 'no' code whatsover.  Later, I'm being shown how to do the same by double clicking a row in a table to launch and display the chosen record.

We did a lot of work on UTF-8 sometime ago and this also included getting a number of European clients to London for a round table.  During this meeting they were able to put their requirements to us directly and the developers there were able to go away and meet their needs.  It was really useful for all concerned.

All the best,
M.

Martyn

Apr 27, 2018, 4:44:06 AM4/27/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks for your posting.  OI10 is surprising me every day with what it now enables me, as a non-developer, to achieve.  I never fell out of love with MV and OI specifically, but I'm falling in love with OI all over again :)

Chris Long

Apr 27, 2018, 12:17:39 PM4/27/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Martyn,

Does OpenInsight work with Reality?

Chris Long

RA Services IT

Martyn

Apr 30, 2018, 3:11:44 PM4/30/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, Reality is not under consideration to be supported at the present time.  We would need to research the viability of such a project based on whether Reality has some form of connectivity technology that we can use, whether Reality would be prepared to work with us and then the number of licenses that we might be able to sell to justify the project.  The data connectors are developed by Revelation Software in the USA and you would need to discuss this with them if you wished for such a project to be considered.

Sorry,
Martyn.

Chris Long

Apr 30, 2018, 3:49:06 PM4/30/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Martyn,

That is ok.  I didn’t expect there to be support, but I thought I would ask.