Restoring D3 Linux accounts to D3 Windows

Rick Weiser

Sep 9, 2017, 3:22:14 PM9/9/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
HI all,

I am attempting to restore 4 accounts for a FileSave executed on a D3 Linux server to a D3 Windows server.  The accounts restore fine to the VME but when I try to restore them to the FSI they error.

SX
1  > FSI:SX 0,101
'FSI:SX'  is not a file name
1  > FSI:SX > SALE.ITEM.TEMP 0,13
'SALE.ITEM.TEMP'  is not a file name
1  > FSI:SX > SALE.ITEM.TEMP > SALE.ITEM.TEMP 0,313
'SALE.ITEM.TEMP'  is not a file name
1  > FSI:SX > TEMP 0,7
'TEMP'  is not a file name
1  > FSI:SX > TEMP > TEMP 0,111
'TEMP'  is not a file name
 Restore from incremental save tape (y/n)? N
 Restore from transaction log tape (y/n)? N
restore completed
Creating indexes for FSI account SX ...

Creation of indexes FSI account SX failed

Is there an option on the account-save that I need to include?  If not, what may be the problem.

I have also tried restoring to the VME and then account-saving the account and restoring to the FSI but I get the same errors.

Thanks,

Rick

Allen Ratcliffe

Sep 9, 2017, 5:34:02 PM9/9/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Rick, Allen from Zumasys here, just to clarify a few things.
The backup on the D3 Linux system, was the device set to "Floppy Pseudo" or was it a compressed device?
for example;
18 | Floppy         | Pseudo Floppy   |       | /u/d3/d3backups/zumlabd304_pseudo
19 | compressed     | 2000000K        |       | /u/d3/d3backups/zumlabd304

which options did you use on the SAVE verb? (or did you use the FILE-SAVE proc?)
Is this a full backup or individual account saves created from a select list with the "I" option?
were any "QS" pointers to external Linux filesystem files included?

On the restore on the Windows? probably not best to restore them to the small VME so you are probably wanting them all in the FSI.

What restore command did you use?
RESTORE-ACCOUNTS? did you use the (r option?
or a series of account-restores?

can email me directly at all...@zumasys.com if I can help.

Allen Ratcliffe.

Rick Weiser

Sep 9, 2017, 5:38:42 PM9/9/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
HI Allen,

I did not do the save and know very little about Linux.  The person that did this used the following and said it was a "compressed Pseudo tape".  I used winrar to uncompress the file.

tape /u/backups/wednesday 1000000 p lx  # tape 4

I have tried multiple variations including RESTORE-ACCOUNTS (r  and individual ACCOUNT-RESTORE FSI:accountname.  All display the errors listed in my original email.

Thanks,

RIck

Zumasys Reply

Sep 15, 2017, 1:31:35 PM9/15/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Rick, this is something I do very often here and the most reliable way which consistently works for me is to make sure the backup file has been created with the correct device setting on the Unix system.
FLOPPY PSEUDO.
so for example;
either change an existing tape device setting;
chg-device 9 type=floppy density=pseudo name=/tmp/unix_pseudo_for_windows,
(in D3 Unix, you cannot add a device but can change an existing device)
or create a pseudo tape device in the pick0 file (but this will require a reboot of d3).
tape /tmp/unix_pseudo_for_windows 500 f lx - tape pseudo

then use that device for your unix d3 backup,

copy it over to your Windows D3 server,
use the dev-make command to create the new tape device in Windows,
DEV-MAKE -T TAPE -A "C:\TMP\unix_pseudo_for_windows,P"
(Windows, you cannot change a device but can add them).

attach this new device and use the (R option on the restore.

RESTORE-ACCOUNTS (R

which will force the restore to create fsi: accounts.

hope this helps.
Allen.

Zumasys Reply

Sep 15, 2017, 1:33:20 PM9/15/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I can confirm that creating a d3 backup on a Linux system using the tape device setup as a floppy,pseudo can be restored to a D3 windows system using the "RESTORE-ACCOUNTS (R" command.
I do this consistently.