Vacancies in Nottinghamshire

Helene HIbbitt

Jan 6, 2017, 9:07:28 AM1/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

Software Developer – Fusion Core x 2

Position:           Permanent

Salary:             £25k - £40k

Location:         Caverswall House, Sherwood Park, Annesley NG15 0YU

Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, any 5 from 7 days

An opportunity has arisen for 2 Software Developers to join the Fusion Core development team.

This role will entail the full spectrum of development through requirements gathering, solution design and specification, coding, testing and implementation.

The role requires proven expertise in developing extensive and complex systems to strict timescales.

The successful candidate will have a track record in a similar commercial environment, and will be able to hold their own in customer facing meetings and presentations.

The following skills are required:

·         Ideally an expertise in developing applications in a Multivalue database environment using Databasic.

·         Secondly, a knowledge of MUMPS, Cache,COBOL, Openlnsight, Pick, NOSQL Databases such as MongoDB, you will be fully supported with full training with these applications, to transfer core competencies to Databasic.

·         A background in commercial fulfilment, WMS, and distribution logistics

·         Expertise in systems and process analysis with a preference for formal methods.

·         Strong communication skills with the ability to translate between technical and business language effectively at all levels.

·         A history of systems integration experience.

·         Project and time management skills.

If you believe you have the skills and experience as detailed above please send your application to recruitmen...@prolog.co.uk by the closing date. If you wish to find out more about this role you can request a job description by contacting a member of the Human Resources team on

01623 724000.

bcam

Jan 6, 2017, 2:51:13 PM1/6/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
No offence to anyone, and maybe it's because I'm out of touch... (no comments from the peanut gallery please) ... but doesn't the salary range seems far apart and also to me, the salary amount seems very low especially based on the required skills.

$25,000 to $50,000 US dollars

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 9:07:28 AM UTC-5, Helene HIbbitt wrote:

[...]

If you believe you have the skills and experience as detailed above please send your application to recruitment.services@prolog.co.uk by the closing date. If you wish to find out more about this role you can request a job description by contacting a member of the Human Resources team on

01623 724000.

Wols Lists

Jan 6, 2017, 6:17:50 PM1/6/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 06/01/17 19:51, bcam wrote:
> No offence to anyone, and maybe it's because I'm out of touch... (no
> comments from the peanut gallery please) ... but doesn't the salary
> range seems far apart and also to me, the salary amount seems very low
> especially based on the required skills.
>
> $25,000 to $50,000 US dollars

£1 ~= $1.25

So it's approximately $32K to $62K

And unfortunately, no I don't think it's that far out of line with
what's typically on offer over here ...

Cheers,
Wol

> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 9:07:28 AM UTC-5, Helene HIbbitt wrote:
>
> *Software Developer – Fusion Core x 2*
>

> Position: Permanent
>
> Salary: £25k - £40k
>
> Location: Caverswall House, Sherwood Park, Annesley NG15 0YU
>
> Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, any 5 from 7 days
>

> An opportunity has arisen for 2 Software Developers to join the
> Fusion Core development team.
>

> This role will entail the full spectrum of development through
> requirements gathering, solution design and specification, coding,
> testing and implementation.
>

> The role requires proven expertise in developing extensive and
> complex systems to strict timescales.
>

> The successful candidate will have a track record in a similar
> commercial environment, and will be able to hold their own in
> customer facing meetings and presentations.
>

> *The following skills are required:*
>

> · Ideally an expertise in developing applications in a
> Multivalue database environment using Databasic.
>
> · Secondly, a knowledge of MUMPS, Cache,COBOL, Openlnsight,
> Pick, NOSQL Databases such as MongoDB, you will be fully supported
> with full training with these applications, to transfer core
> competencies to Databasic.
>
> · A background in commercial fulfilment, WMS, and
> distribution logistics
>
> · Expertise in systems and process analysis with a
> preference for formal methods.
>
> · Strong communication skills with the ability to translate
> between technical and business language effectively at all levels.
>
> · A history of systems integration experience.
>
> · Project and time management skills.
>
> If you believe you have the skills and experience as detailed above
> please send your application to recruitmen...@prolog.co.uk
> <javascript:>by the closing date. If you wish to find out more about
> this role you can request a job description by contacting a member
> of the Human Resources team on
>
> 01623 724000.

Will Johnson

Jan 7, 2017, 2:06:59 PM1/7/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

Doesn't the job say 25 to 40 ?

So that would be 31.25 to 50 US dollars
This is only because the dollar is very strong right now and the pound is very weak because of Brexit

Mike Preece

Feb 16, 2017, 7:17:44 AM2/16/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
The salary range isn't low. That is partially why I am now driving vans instead of cutting code.

Glenn Sallis

Feb 16, 2017, 2:25:45 PM2/16/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Mike,

Did you not mean to write "is low"? Otherwise what you wrote doesn't seem to make sense.

Looking at the experience they are after I would be surprised if they are able to find someone for less than 36k (GBP) for this role. I have been monitoring UK salaries for the past few years and I haven't noticed much increase. At the same time the cost of living has been rising all the time.

My impression is that it is getting harder and harder for companies to find people with the necessary skills and experience because they have either a. retired, b. are happily employed, c. cross-trained to other technologies or d. freelance.

I hope they find a great person for the role but my impression is that it won't be easy. My recommendation would be to take a young person on the lower end of the salary scale and train them in MultiValue. Our market needs new "blood" after all!

Kind regards
Glenn

Don Robinson

Feb 16, 2017, 10:32:45 PM2/16/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Glenn,
Since I'm in the US I won't comment on the salary, but I will comment on the lack of programmers and company training.

Unless a company is in a real bind, they should look for someone with talent and train them. I know of companies that dumped MV because they "just can't find programmers" and then spend $millions on some "mainstream" product trying to make it do what the MV system did. They could have put half that into people and updates and have an excellent system.

I know of a company still running on a Spirit system, probably 30 years old, and complaining about being unable to find parts or service for it.
Go figure.

Regards,
Don