Anyone know how to get pickwiki updates?

Dawn Wolthuis

Jul 29, 2015, 10:08:04 AM7/29/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -- Once upon a time I was able to update the wiki at pickwiki.com. I know it has changed hands and technology since then, but now I cannot seem to get an update through. I think my updates went into a moderator queue, but it is all quite invisible to me and has been a few days. The changes are not yet there. Does anyone know how to get pickwiki updated these days? Is there a way to become a trusted wiki writer to eliminate the moderation step?

Thanks.  --dawn
--
Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today

Ian McGowan

Jul 29, 2015, 7:35:37 PM7/29/15
to Pick and MultiValue Databases, dw...@tincat-group.com
Dawn, I can check with Zumasys.  I think we underestimated the problem with bots and spam posts.  The old wiki required a correct answer to the question "what is the first name of the guy that invented the Pick database?" and that was apparently enough to keep out the bad guys/bots.

There's a little bit of a vacuum right now, but I'm still optimistic it will all be for the best in the end...  If there's anyone that shouldn't require permission to post, it would be people like you, who've given a lot to this community.

--Ian

Tony Gravagno

Aug 1, 2015, 1:09:35 AM8/1/15
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Dawn and Ian:

1)  Changes were made a few days ago which seems to have solved the issue with bot registrations. Anyone who is interested in updating the wiki is now welcome to register. The best way to get rapid approval is to create a user page for yourself. See others for examples.

2) You have both posted changes which were being held in moderation. Those changes have been approved and your accounts have been approved for all updates going forward. Keep it clean kids. ;)

3) "Things" are still going on with how PIckWiki is being positioned, moderated, etc. Stay tuned. Obviously I'm involved and can respond to some questions here, but it will be better to wait just a little bit longer for an official note about what's happening. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Dawn Wolthuis

Aug 1, 2015, 9:34:11 AM8/1/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony and Ian --
If there are significant changes in the works, then I will not put much more into changes to the existing site. Let us know when you have any announcements.

Thanks.  --dawn

Tony Gravagno

Aug 1, 2015, 7:52:08 PM8/1/15
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
There shouldn't be any significant changes that preclude efforts on content, so I do encourage contributions.

Specifically:
- For anyone who has not registered, please do so that you can comment on content even if you don't post content of your own. Comments are extremely valuable.
- After registration, please create a profile page for yourself. This is good for people to know who you are and for an occasional comment outside of email.
- On your profile page it would be helpful if you added a note about what you'd like to do on the site. This mechanism is one of the things that will be improved as time permits. Examples include contributing content, formatting markup, or just commenting on what needs to be done.

The announcements will be more along the lines of initiatives for adding new content, organization, and adding new features which might help to make the site more user-friendly and useful. The old site was faulted for not having features like common MediaWiki sites. Now that the site _is_ MediaWiki and we have full access to all of the extensions (plugins), we have many options we didn't have before. Feedback will be welcome on what some of those features should be, and ideally we'll need people who can become an authority on how we should be using the features within the framework of this site.

HTH