RE: [mvdbms] Digest for mvdbms@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

twhi...@gmail.com

May 16, 2018, 8:31:32 PM5/16/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We did move to GIT and use BDT.  It can be done.

  1. Make as many files you can as type 19.  Not only programs but procs, etc.
  2. Hashed files (including dictionaries) need to have a trigger on them that writes to a type 19 file.
    1. Write the trigger so multiple records are written to a single “trigger record”.  This will help with performance.

GIT permits you to either push commits up to the repository or you can push the “feature branch” up and commit the changes when you are ready.  I suggest the latter.

Create a “sandbox” (accounts for each developer).  This eliminates conflicts.  GIT will make the merging the code easier.

You didn’t indicate if UV is on Windows or Unix.  Unix you need to use “Smart GIT” and an xterm emulator, or just use Unix commands.  I suggest using both.  I haven’t used GIT with UV on Windows but I think it would be easier.

I really liked using GIT over other version control solutions.  GIT also helped me perform peer reviews, I got to see every change intentional or not.

Enjoy!

Tom

Dec 21, 2018, 10:07:39 AM12/21/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Tom,

I'd love to hear more about this solution you came up with.  We are looking to accomplish what you have in our own environment.

I am unfamiliar with triggers - would you be willing to perhaps provide a brief snippet of how you were able to achieve using git in your environment?  Conceptually, your post makes sense – leveraging this trigger mechanism that fires off when a change occurs, and then writes it to a type 19 file so that it can be ingested into git.  I’ve been trying to get my head wrapped around how we could do this well with these various hashed files – dictionaries, VOCs, and even some hashed files that have fairly static data that should be controlled, and this seems like an elegant way of addressing that issue while also not heavily disrupting the development process.  Also, when you're promoting the source into your environments, do you just have BP "convert" the type 19 file back into a hashed file somehow?

Thanks,

Ryan