[Mod] General forum notes

Tony Gravagno

May 18, 2015, 12:40:13 PM5/18/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
We've seen some threads here posted from the periodic digests, huge quotes, and threads that go way off-topic. Please review the Forum Tips thread which addresses each of these topics:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mvdbms/ofIMKA0GJP4
In short, please be considerate of other members by avoiding quotes that are unrelated to your comments, and by starting a new thread for new topics.

Your team of forum moderators has been on constant vigil here and the net result is that we have (I believe) absolutely zero non-MV/spam postings to this group since we started a few years ago. I hope everyone is comfortable with this environment but please do share suggestions so that we can all discuss. I'd like to personally thank the group of guys who have volunteered to do daily checks on the group to help keep it free of bogus user registrations and postings.

We have 450 subscribed members now, nowhere near the 2300+ members in the LinkedIn Pick User Group. The LinkedIn group includes more recruiters and students, and it's a more international group with a large number of people from India registered. But this MVDBMS group still has more participation. It would be nice to see more people registered here, and more discussions on a diversity of topics.

I've been changing the way I process my personal Google Groups. Sometimes I Reply to an email notification, where the response goes only to the group, and sometimes I come to the web page to respond in the group itself. It seems that whenever we post from the web page, it sends an automatic CC email to whomever posted the note to which we are immediately responding. I've looked at the forum settings to see if this can be disabled, and I've looked around in Google Help groups for a way to avoid this. But Google doesn't pay much attention to Groups and it doesn't look like there is or will be a way to get around this. If anyone knows a way to Reply without a CC to the last individual member, please let us know.

At this time, this group is the best place to post comments and questions related to PickWiki. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, with Zumasys now hosting the environment and the recent migration to MediaWiki. More information will be posted here and there over time. I intend to post a series of tips on how we can make best use of the resources available. Don't hesitate to put your ideas on the table for discussion. But please have patience with the development process, and expect changes to occur gradually rather than immediately. I'd like us to separate topics of Content from topics related to site administration. There's plenty to discuss in both areas. Again, please post one thread per topic, and with "PickWiki:" in the subject. You can even Tag your posts (from the browser) as "wiki" to facilitate filtering.

And with that, note that browser users can Tag posts to help with searches and filtering. Please consider using tags whenever posting a new topic. Info about tags is here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mvdbms/T6Rz6KWfEzQ/XAY4sMKPU0sJ

Thanks as always for your continued support.

Tony Gravagno

Aug 6, 2015, 1:29:18 PM8/6/15
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

If you find your responses are getting emailed to individual forum members, there might not be anything we can do about it.

Per the group setting, all messages get posted back to the group, never directly to an individual. If you are using email and "Reply" puts in an individual's email address, I suspect your email client is not using the mail header "Reply-To" field. We can't do anything about that in group settings, but you can change your email client to respect the protocol.

Whenever responding to a post, by browser or email, ALWAYS use Reply, NEVER use Reply All. Again, messages will always go back to the group, and from there the Groups software routes mail to those who ask for it for this group. That decision does not need to be made by individual members posting responses.

Check your responses before posting : look for a check box that indicates a CC will be emailed to an OP, and uncheck it. It's possible that when a member has their personal group preference set to notify them of postings, that this translates into an email CC option to those who Reply. That would be a bug. Unfortunately Google rarely fixes bugs in this application so we need to continue living with the situation as-is.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sean Clark

Feb 13, 2019, 8:20:49 PM2/13/19
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Tony,

Are there group-wide settings or only individual settings? There is a User+Gear icon above the posts with a membership + email preferences option which has the settings for each user. (along with the per thread setting with the author drop down) I'm assuming you knew about those already.

I'm missing something myself though. How do I send a PM to ask for unmoderated status? The UI elements around names are only performing a message expand/collapse function nor does reply seem to have that function.

Tony Gravagno

Feb 21, 2019, 2:15:34 PM2/21/19
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
All first-time messages, and only the first per-person, are moderated to try to avoid spam and other abuse.
We have eight moderators (including two owner/admins) who have the authority to publish new posts from the Pending bin and authorize new members to post. Sometimes it takes a day or two for one of us to get to this. Patience is appreciated.
As you see, you are now approved to post here. Welcome to the group.

As to group-wide settings, well, yes, but these are only maintainable by the admins.