Copying BMP files from one D3 server to another

Rick Weiser

Nov 3, 2017, 1:41:03 PM11/3/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi all,

I have an issue where I need to copy a BMP file from one D3 server to another.  We are using OFSI on the corporate server running D3 on Linux and on the other servers running D3 Windows 7.  Both are running D3 v9.x.

On the Corp Linux server, we can list files on the Windows servers, no problem.  On the Windows servers, we have setup a Qpointer to the DOS directory that stores the BMP files (c:\images) and can list the directory from TCL.  We can also list the directory using the following from the corp Linux server, "LIST winserver_name:account,qpointername,"

So, we tried a COPY command to copy the bmp files using the following:

COPY winserver_name:account,qpointer, itemid.bmp
TO: (Corp_SharedDir

This works and copies the bmp file to the corp server but the file is corrupt.

Any ideas on how we can fix this or use a different procedure to copy the images?

Thanks,

Rick

Glen Batchelor

Nov 3, 2017, 1:43:08 PM11/3/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

 Use an OS copy command via EXECUTE instead of using COPY.

Robert Burke

Nov 3, 2017, 1:47:48 PM11/3/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Can you post your q-pointer please.

Rick Weiser

Nov 3, 2017, 6:06:40 PM11/3/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Glen,

We can't use OS copy.  The servers are on different networks.  That is why we need to using OSFI.

Rick

Rick Weiser

Nov 3, 2017, 6:07:59 PM11/3/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
<1> - Q
<2> - server:account
<3> - filename

Wols Lists

Nov 3, 2017, 6:33:18 PM11/3/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 03/11/17 17:41, Rick Weiser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an issue where I need to copy a BMP file from one D3 server to
> another. We are using OFSI on the corporate server running D3 on Linux
> and on the other servers running D3 Windows 7. Both are running D3 v9.x.

Can't you see the shares from server to the other?

On linux, use samba to either share the linux directory so windows can
access it, or use "mount -t cifs" to mount the windows shares so linux
can see it.

I guess somewhere along the line we are having the usual problem with
line endings - I'm guessing D3 assumes your BMP is a text file and is
converting crlf to lf or vice versa.

Using samba will mean you can keep D3 out of it and use either a windows
copy, or a linux cp.

Cheers,
Wol

Glen Batchelor

Nov 3, 2017, 7:07:15 PM11/3/17
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

 If you use smbmount on Linux you can mount the remote Windows share onto a Linux directory.

Kevin Powick

Nov 4, 2017, 2:09:40 AM11/4/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
If you're using the OSFI, your q-pointer to local OS directories need to include the correct host specifier in order to handle the data correctly.  These are essentially "drivers" for the OSFI.  Available hosts are found in the HOSTS file.

The general syntax of an OSFI q-pointer is

01 q
02
03 host_id:/local_or_network_file_path/

Where host_id, is an item ID in the HOSTS file.

Example:  DOS file access to your "downloads" folder on a Windows server running D3 might look like the following:

01 q
02
03 dos:/users/rick/downloads/

Since you need to transfer binary data, the hosts types you are probably most interested in are nt_bin and unixb

You can get a descriptive listing of the HOSTS file with: SORT HOSTS A6

--
Kevin Powick