Largest Pick System

chandru murthi

Feb 24, 2018, 3:13:21 PM2/24/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

Soliciting rumors, fact or gossip about the largest Pick install (no. of users.) Pertinent info such as when, where, by whom and what computer system would be very helpful.

Also, if anyone has info about Pick install #2 at the Bank of Guam (computer fondly called Guano by us old-old-Pickies,) that would be nice too.

Thanks,
Chandru

timbered

Feb 25, 2018, 4:12:48 PM2/25/18
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Are we talking generic multivalue, or Pick Systems specifically? File size or number of users?

I think in the US, Oxford Health Plans in Connecticut had one of the largest Universe databases (over 200 million records) but not in terms of the number of users. There were several re-insurance companies that ran fairly large files too. (General Re I think still uses D3?)

Chris Long

Feb 26, 2018, 8:02:52 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Chandru,

I was told years ago that Northgate’s Reality was being used by the UK’s emergency services.  I think they mentioned there were several thousands of users.

Chris Long

RA Services IT

jes

Feb 26, 2018, 8:51:15 AM2/26/18
On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 4:12:48 PM UTC-5, timbered wrote:
Are we talking generic multivalue, or Pick Systems specifically? File size or number of users?

I think in the US, Oxford Health Plans in Connecticut had one of the largest Universe databases (over 200 million records) but not in terms of the number of users. There were several re-insurance companies that ran fairly large files too. (General Re I think still uses D3?)

A couple students ago we had access to a copy of their active machine for learning purposes. One of their transaction files had over 1 Billion items. First time I had seen one that large. Without permission to reveal the name of the client, let's just say they have many locations and have been using Pick (D3 in this case) since the 70's.

And the Reinsurance companies I worked with on at least a half-dozen occasions in Bermuda didn't have large files in terms of items, but the items themselves had thousands of attributes. Each new client inherited this model and had their own unique attributes tacked on to the end of the mess. So doing a LISTDICT filename meant you were going to go thru literally hundreds of pages of display to get to the relevant dictionary items.

Wols Lists

Feb 26, 2018, 9:23:08 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 26/02/18 13:02, Chris Long wrote:
> Chandru,
>

> I was told years ago that Northgate’s Reality was being used by the UK’s
> emergency services. I think they mentioned there were several thousands
> of users.

I've certainly heard that. I've also heard that the PNC (Police National
Computer) is a Pick system of some sort - it wouldn't surprise me if
HOLMES is too, although I know very little about it.

Cheers,
Wol

Dan McGrath

Feb 26, 2018, 10:27:26 AM2/26/18
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I can attest 200 million records is not close to the largest UV install. Related, I've helped a customer & IBM diagnose an AIX kernel issue on a 256 core Power machine running an MV database and I don't believe this was the largest either.