uniData and ICONV() of two-digits years

frosty

Aug 26, 2016, 3:07:55 PM8/26/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Using uniData 7.3 If I input a string, ICONV() it and then OCONV() it with 'D' and 'D4-',
I see that 1-1-29 is in the year 2029 and 1-1-30 is in the year 1930.

My question is: is the cutoff year -- between 1900's and 2000's -- always 29? Or will it
bump up next year some time?

--
frosty

Ladd, Ryan

Aug 26, 2016, 3:41:53 PM8/26/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

It is static (not based on the current date) and defined by your system configuration.  In Universe there is a configuration parameter called "CENTURYPIVOT" that defines when that break occurs.  Unidata probably has a similar configurable.

A quick search of Unidata docs for Century Pivot found that there is a similar setting and also a command (CENTURY.PIVOT) that can be used to override the system value or retrieve the current value of this parameter.

Ryan

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

frosty

Aug 26, 2016, 4:24:13 PM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:41:53 PM UTC-6, Ryan Ladd wrote:

It is static (not based on the current date) and defined by your system configuration.  In Universe there is a configuration parameter called "CENTURYPIVOT" that defines when that break occurs.  Unidata probably has a similar configurable.

A quick search of Unidata docs for Century Pivot found that there is a similar setting and also a command (CENTURY.PIVOT) that can be used to override the system value or retrieve the current value of this parameter.

Ryan

Excellent, Ryan, thank you.

--
frosty

Peter McMurray

Aug 27, 2016, 7:28:12 PM8/27/16
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Ah an old favourite been that way since Dick designed MV. I fell for it on the very first system I ever wrote - a payroll. I set a limit on date of birth that checked a person was actually born within the possible time frame and on day one an operator came and said she couldn't enter Fred. He was a long term employee born in 1925. OOPS!
Ever since I have accepted any combination of date entry - MV is wonderfully flexible - done an internal conversion and displayed dd mmm yyyy. Plus of course checking the internal value against any necessary limits.
The D3 version is :
set-date-window
Current Date Window: 30
Another trick demonstrators might like to remember is always use 12-12 or similar as that way you wont get caught out if somebody has got the date set that weird US way. Yes a lot of people do not know what 9/11 means, we even had an Australian TV crew going down a Manhattan street asking passers by what date 9/11 was and many did not know. It was a parody called CNNN

Mike McGuane

Feb 21, 2017, 4:06:55 PM2/21/17
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Is this a required setting?  can the system run without a set-date-window setting?
Thanks