Unattended Install Question

James Knightley

Jan 5, 2016, 10:12:34 AM1/5/16
to munki-dev
Hi Everyone,

Just starting out with Munki and can't find the answer to my issue so hoping someone here can help.

I've setup a server (OS X Server) and client (El Capitan) to begin my trial running the latest versions, I have imported a few different applications which install and remove without issue, however I am unable to perform a silent install.

The option Unattended Install within MunkiAdmin has been selected but it's still prompting the client machine to update, can someone explain why this is ?

Kind Regards

James

Gregory Neagle

Jan 5, 2016, 10:13:51 AM1/5/16
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps this? https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Blocking-Applications

IOW, the app you want to silently update is open?

-Greg

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Mr. Alan Siu

Jan 5, 2016, 1:52:46 PM1/5/16
to munk...@googlegroups.com

Another thing to look at too, if you didn't use Munki to install the application (only to update it to a newer version), you might want to consider putting the application in managed_updates in the manifest.

Jeferson Martinelli

Mar 5, 2018, 5:25:37 PM3/5/18
to munki-dev
Hello Guys I've been facing the same issue, there's no blocking apps holding it. Any suggestions?

Jeferson Martinelli

Mar 5, 2018, 5:27:42 PM3/5/18
to munki-dev
Here is my catalog:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
<dict>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<true/>
<key>autoremove</key>
<false/>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>eCore</string>
</array>
<key>installer_item_hash</key>
<string>
957145b6907a04f530408f336bb2dd8880a285d3f8551110f7f5cc37231d5333
</string>
<key>installer_item_location</key>
<string>BitTorrent.dmg</string>
<key>installer_item_size</key>
<integer>1256</integer>
<key>installer_type</key>
<string>copy_from_dmg</string>
<key>installs</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.antialien.endocarditic</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>BitTorrent</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>106.1712</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>minosversion</key>
<string>10.7</string>
<key>path</key>
<string>/Applications/BitTorrent.app</string>
<key>type</key>
<string>application</string>
<key>version_comparison_key</key>
<string>CFBundleShortVersionString</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>items_to_copy</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>destination_path</key>
<string>/Applications</string>
<key>source_item</key>
<string>BitTorrent.app</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>minimum_os_version</key>
<string>10.7</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>BitTorrent</string>
<key>unattended_install</key>
<true/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>remove_copied_items</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<true/>
<key>version</key>
<string>106.1712</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>autoremove</key>
<false/>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>eCore</string>
</array>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>10349</integer>
<key>installer_item_hash</key>
<string>
bbee49a09e63339600ff5a97dedcecd8a00e4271477f02623e88ce6ebf295288
</string>
<key>installer_item_location</key>
<string>Packages.dmg</string>
<key>installer_item_size</key>
<integer>4648</integer>
<key>minimum_os_version</key>
<string>10.5.0</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>Install Packages</string>
<key>receipts</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>10349</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>fr.whitebox.pkg.Packages</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.3</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>unattended_install</key>
<true/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>removepackages</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<true/>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>RestartAction</key>
<string>RequireRestart</string>
<key>autoremove</key>
<false/>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>eCore</string>
</array>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>4438086</integer>
<key>installer_item_hash</key>
<string>
3271b1675878a2b66a7664141a7dd190b55113fe3e9a045904b31377626b9149
</string>
<key>installer_item_location</key>
<string>macOSUpd10.13.3.pkg</string>
<key>installer_item_size</key>
<integer>1935826</integer>
<key>minimum_os_version</key>
<string>10.5.0</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>macOSUpd</string>
<key>receipts</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>130</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>com.apple.pkg.BridgeOSBrain</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>10.13.3.1.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>130</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>com.apple.pkg.BridgeOSUpdateCustomer</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>10.13.3.1.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>62078</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>com.apple.pkg.EmbeddedOSFirmware</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>10.13.3.1.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>227966</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>com.apple.update.fullbundleupdate.17D47</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.0.0.0.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>installed_size</key>
<integer>4147782</integer>
<key>packageid</key>
<string>com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.13.3.17D47</string>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.0.0.0.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>unattended_install</key>
<true/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>removepackages</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<true/>
<key>version</key>
<string>10.13.3.1.1.1516347890</string>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

And here is my Manifest

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>eCore</string>
</array>
<key>managed_installs</key>
<array>
<string>BitTorrent</string>
<string>macOSUpd</string>
</array>
<key>managed_updates</key>
<array/>
</dict>
</plist>

Gregory Neagle

Mar 5, 2018, 5:44:33 PM3/5/18
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Are you trying to do an unattended install of "macOSUpd"?

That can't happen while a user is logged in since "macOSUpd" requires a restart.

So the install is skipped, and the user is notified of a pending install.

"You cannot use unattended_install or unattended_uninstall with items that require a logout or restart for what I hope are obvious reasons."

BitTorrent, on the other hand, should install unattended... _unless_ a copy of BitTorrent.app is running.

-Greg

Jeferson Martinelli

Mar 6, 2018, 7:04:20 AM3/6/18
to munki-dev
Hello Greg, thank for you response.

I got done the update install, thank you for your tip.

But I'm still facing the same problem with bittorrent, could not manage to install it using this settings, and there's no blocking app running.

Gregory Neagle

Mar 6, 2018, 9:59:18 AM3/6/18
to munk...@googlegroups.com
How are you testing? How are you determining it isn't working?  Munki will install BitTorrent the next time it does a background run, which could be any time in the next hour.

If you are testing by opening Managed Software Center and seeing what it shows: it will always show the available, pending updates.

-Greg

Jeferson Martinelli

Mar 6, 2018, 4:22:43 PM3/6/18
to munki-dev
Hey Greg.

Let me show you an example of what I'm trying to accomplish

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Install a pkg named: Install Packages
Remove a pkg named: BitTorrent

I'm actually running managedsoftwareupdate as root in the CLI, and also I tried to wait for one hour and the result was the same, nothing got installed or removed.

Here is the return of the command at client:

sh-3.2# /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate
Managed Software Update Tool
Copyright 2010-2018 The Munki Project
https://github.com/munki/munki

Starting...
Checking for available updates...

Preventing idle sleep

Getting list of available icons...

Getting client resources...

Getting client resources...

Allowing idle sleep
Finishing...
Done.

Here is the Catalog that Munki is Using:

<plist version="1.0">
<array>
<dict>
<key>unattended_uninstall</key>
<true/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>remove_copied_items</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>unattended_uninstall</key>
<true/>
<key>uninstall_method</key>
<string>removepackages</string>
<key>uninstallable</key>
<false/>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.3</string>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

Here is the manifest that I'm Using

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>catalogs</key>
<array>
<string>eCore</string>
</array>
<key>managed_installs</key>
<array>
<string>Install Packages</string>
</array>
<key>managed_uninstalls</key>
<array>
<string>BitTorrent</string>
</array>
<key>managed_updates</key>
<array/>
</dict>
</plist>

I have to be doing something wrong just could not find what yet.

Thanks for your help.

Gregory Neagle

Mar 6, 2018, 4:31:36 PM3/6/18
to munk...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 6, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Jeferson Martinelli <jeferson.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Greg.

Let me show you an example of what I'm trying to accomplish

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Install a pkg named: Install Packages
Remove a pkg named: BitTorrent

I'm actually running managedsoftwareupdate as root in the CLI,

Running `managedsoftwareupdate` will never install anything, whether it is marked for unattended install/removal or not.

To get the same behavior as the automatic background runs, run `sudo managedsoftwareupdate --auto`

-Greg

Jeferson Martinelli

Mar 6, 2018, 4:38:40 PM3/6/18
to munki-dev
Just did it and get the same result, nothing happened :(

Mark Zottmann

Mar 6, 2018, 4:47:27 PM3/6/18
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't the uninstallable key have to be set to true for the BitTorrent item in order for munki to uninstall it ?

The catalog shows it as false

<key>uninstallable</key>
<false/>

--
Mark Zottmann
Network Administrator

Nick McSpadden

Kris Lou

Mar 6, 2018, 4:48:31 PM3/6/18
to munk...@googlegroups.com
2 things:

* The "Install Packages" pkginfo might not work, and is significantly different from mine (which is mostly from Autopkg).  How did you import it?  You might be better off testing installs with something simpler, like Firefox (drag and drop App bundle at the DMG root).