[mule-user] Problem facing while running mule on JBoss Application Server

1 view

puneetjain

Mar 31, 2008, 8:07:31 AM3/31/08
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Hi,

I have written an application in Mule using http endpoint.
The processing logic in UMO is very CPU intensive and takes time to be
processed.
I am in the process of evaluating the performance of mule on JBoss. I have
created a war file of my mule application and deployed on JBoss application
Server.

Question No 1:
==========
I am hitting 200 concurrent request in 2 loops on mule using JMeter. But
mule is not able to handle all the requests.
The exception returned in Http Response is java.net.ConnectException:
Connection timed out: connect. (Full Stack trace is given below)

Please help me to resolve the issue.
I am using default threading and pooling profile.
There is no exception raised on server console or server log.

Question No 2:
==========
Which web container does mule use when it is deployed on JBoss Application
server, i.e. JBoss or mule is having his own embedded web container?

Environment:
=========
Application Server: JBoss-4.2.2.GA
Mule Version 1.4.3
OS: Redhat Enterprise Linux 4

Exception Raised:
=============
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown
Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler.sample(HTTPSampler.java:440)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:863)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:849)
at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:300)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Puneet

David Dossot

Mar 31, 2008, 3:20:07 PM3/31/08
to us...@mule.codehaus.org
Response to question 2 is: depends on what transport you use. If you use Servlet you will hook up with the web container of JBoss, else you will use the embedded HTTP transport.

Depending on your answer to question 2, you will know what to tune to solve the problem you describe in question 1.

HTH
D.

Yuen-Chi Lian

Apr 1, 2008, 3:33:59 AM4/1/08
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Hi Puneet,

The default threading profile could be insufficient to handle too many
concurrent requests, you may want to increase the receiver's threads. Please
see:

http://mule.mulesource.org/display/MULEUSER/Configuration+Options#ConfigurationOptions-ThreadingProfiles

-----
Regards,
Yuen-Chi Lian

"I do not seek. I find." - Pablo Picasso