[mule-user] How to change the Quartz schedule dinamically?

insac

Apr 26, 2007, 11:57:48 AM4/26/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Hi everybody,
in my application I need to be able to change via a web interface the
cronExpression of a couple of QuartzConnector.

Is there a way to do this without having to restart the application?
I thought I could load the cronExpression property from a DB (e.g. via a
custom factory-property) and then stopping and starting the component that
uses the QuartzConnector, but I've encountered some problems in doing so.

Thanks in advance,
Fabio

Andrew Perepelytsya

Apr 26, 2007, 8:28:11 PM4/26/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org
Fabio,

Listing what failed usually helps :)

You can programmatically lookup the QuartzConnector, reconfigure it and reinitialize.

Andrew

On 4/26/07, insac <in...@insac.com> wrote:

Hi everybody,
in my application I need to be able to change via a web interface the
cronExpression of a couple of QuartzConnector.

Is there a way to do this without having to restart the application?
I thought I could load the cronExpression property from a DB ( e.g. via a

insac

Apr 27, 2007, 3:24:32 AM4/27/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> Fabio,
>
> Listing what failed usually helps :)

:-)

The reason I didn't give any info about the problems is that I was not sure
it was the way to go and I just wanted to know what was the "correct"
approach.

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> You can programmatically lookup the QuartzConnector, reconfigure it and
> reinitialize.

The approach you suggest seems quite clean to me and I'll try to implement
it in my application.

The problem I have, trying to "restart" a component with a Quartz connector
in the "inbound-router", is the following:

----
org.mule.umo.ComponentException: Failed to invoke
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent. Component that caused exception is:
Awakener. Message payload is of type: com.insac.mule.Pojo
at
org.mule.impl.DefaultLifecycleAdapter.intercept(DefaultLifecycleAdapter.java:207)
at org.mule.impl.InterceptorsInvoker.execute(InterceptorsInvoker.java:47)
at org.mule.impl.model.DefaultMuleProxy.run(DefaultMuleProxy.java:475)
at org.mule.impl.work.WorkerContext.run(WorkerContext.java:310)
at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:528)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException: Failed to start Quartz
receiver
at
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzMessageReceiver.doStart(QuartzMessageReceiver.java:128)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractMessageReceiver.start(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:447)
at
org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.startListeners(AbstractComponent.java:593)
at org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.start(AbstractComponent.java:243)
at org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.start(AbstractComponent.java:203)
at
org.mule.management.mbeans.ComponentService.start(ComponentService.java:131)
at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doAction(MuleDirectorComponent.java:48)
at
org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invokeCurrent(DynamicEntryPoint.java:257)
at org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invoke(DynamicEntryPoint.java:168)
at
org.mule.impl.DefaultLifecycleAdapter.intercept(DefaultLifecycleAdapter.java:202)
... 6 more
Caused by: org.quartz.ObjectAlreadyExistsException: Unable to store Job with
name: 'quartz://scheduledEvents2' and group: 'mule', because one already
exists with this identification.
at org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore.storeJob(RAMJobStore.java:222)
at org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore.storeJobAndTrigger(RAMJobStore.java:195)
at org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler.scheduleJob(QuartzScheduler.java:703)
at org.quartz.impl.StdScheduler.scheduleJob(StdScheduler.java:255)
at
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzMessageReceiver.doStart(QuartzMessageReceiver.java:123)
... 19 more
2007-04-27 09:06:45,369 [Awakener.2] ERROR
DefaultComponentExceptionStrategy:306 -
Message : Failed to start Quartz receiver
Type : org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException
Code : MULE_ERROR-60042
JavaDoc :
http://mule.codehaus.org/docs/apidocs/org/mule/umo/endpoint/EndpointException.html
Exception stack is:
1. Unable to store Job with name: 'quartz://scheduledEvents2' and group:
'mule', because one already exists with this identification.
(org.quartz.ObjectAlreadyExistsException)
org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore:222 (null)
2. Failed to start Quartz receiver (org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException)
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzMessageReceiver:128
(http://mule.codehaus.org/docs/apidocs/org/mule/umo/endpoint/EndpointException.html)
----

It seems that when I stop the component, the Quartz job remains stored in
memory and,
when I start the component again, Quartz complains about the existence of a
job with the same name.

I don't know if that's the expected behaviour, so I'm not sure whether to
classify this as a bug..
if you think that a deeper investigation could be advisable, I could add an
issue in Jira with a simple testcase

Thanks,
Fabio

On 4/26/07, insac <in...@insac.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> in my application I need to be able to change via a web interface the
> cronExpression of a couple of QuartzConnector.
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to restart the application?

> I thought I could load the cronExpression property from a DB (e.g. via a

> custom factory-property) and then stopping and starting the component that
> uses the QuartzConnector, but I've encountered some problems in doing so.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fabio

Andrew Perepelytsya

Apr 27, 2007, 9:45:59 AM4/27/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org
Fabio,

Try restarting/initialising the connector instead, not the component.

Andrew

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> You can programmatically lookup the QuartzConnector, reconfigure it and
> reinitialize.

The approach you suggest seems quite clean to me and I'll try to implement
it in my application.

The problem I have, trying to "restart" a component with a Quartz connector
in the "inbound-router", is the following:

----
org.mule.umo.ComponentException : Failed to invoke
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent. Component that caused exception is:
Awakener. Message payload is of type: com.insac.mule.Pojo
        at
org.mule.impl.DefaultLifecycleAdapter.intercept (DefaultLifecycleAdapter.java:207)

        at org.mule.impl.InterceptorsInvoker.execute(InterceptorsInvoker.java:47)
        at org.mule.impl.model.DefaultMuleProxy.run(DefaultMuleProxy.java:475)
        at org.mule.impl.work.WorkerContext.run (WorkerContext.java:310)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:528)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException: Failed to start Quartz
receiver
        at
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzMessageReceiver.doStart (QuartzMessageReceiver.java:128)

        at
org.mule.providers.AbstractMessageReceiver.start(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:447)
        at
org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.startListeners(AbstractComponent.java :593)
        at org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.start(AbstractComponent.java:243)
        at org.mule.impl.model.AbstractComponent.start(AbstractComponent.java:203)
        at
org.mule.management.mbeans.ComponentService.start (ComponentService.java:131)

        at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doAction(MuleDirectorComponent.java:48)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (Unknown Source)

        at
org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invokeCurrent( DynamicEntryPoint.java:257)

insac

Apr 27, 2007, 1:03:03 PM4/27/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> Fabio,
>
> Try restarting/initialising the connector instead, not the component.
>
> Andrew

Ok, that makes sense.. I've tried to restart the connector but I've got
another exception (stacktrace follows)

"org.quartz.SchedulerException: The Scheduler cannot be restarted after
shutdown() has been called."

If "scheduler.shutdown()" has an effect this strong, wouldn't it be more
appropriate to put it into the QuartzConnector "dispose" method? In the
QuartzConnector "stop" method, the "scheduler.pauseAll" could suffice (I'm
not a Quartz expert, so it's likely I'm just talking nonsense).

Thanks,
Fabio

2007-04-27 18:38:50,146 [Awakener.2] ERROR
DefaultComponentExceptionStrategy:306 -
Message : Connector that caused exception is:
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzConnector@120d62b
Type : org.mule.umo.provider.ConnectorException
Code : MULE_ERROR-68033
JavaDoc :
http://mule.codehaus.org/docs/apidocs/org/mule/umo/provider/ConnectorException.html
Exception stack is:
1. The Scheduler cannot be restarted after shutdown() has been called.
(org.quartz.SchedulerException)
org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler:443 (null)
2. Connector that caused exception is:
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzConnector@120d62b
(org.mule.umo.provider.ConnectorException)
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzConnector:101
(http://mule.codehaus.org/docs/apidocs/org/mule/umo/provider/ConnectorException.html)
Root Exception stack trace:
org.quartz.SchedulerException: The Scheduler cannot be restarted after
shutdown() has been called.
at org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler.start(QuartzScheduler.java:443)
at org.quartz.impl.StdScheduler.start(StdScheduler.java:146)
at
org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzConnector.doStart(QuartzConnector.java:97)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.startConnector(AbstractConnector.java:332)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.connect(AbstractConnector.java:1014)
at
org.mule.providers.SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.doConnect(SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.java:29)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnectionStrategy.connect(AbstractConnectionStrategy.java:86)
at org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.connect(AbstractConnector.java:983)
at
org.mule.providers.SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.doConnect(SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.java:29)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnectionStrategy.connect(AbstractConnectionStrategy.java:86)
at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.startConnector(AbstractConnector.java:324)
at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doActionOnConnector(MuleDirectorComponent.java:103)
at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doAction(MuleDirectorComponent.java:45)

> [...]

>> Source)
>> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>> at

>> org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invokeCurrent(DynamicEntryPoint.java:257)

>> at org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invoke(DynamicEntryPoint.java
>> :168)
>> at
>> org.mule.impl.DefaultLifecycleAdapter.intercept(
>> DefaultLifecycleAdapter.java:202)
>> ... 6 more
>> Caused by: org.quartz.ObjectAlreadyExistsException: Unable to store Job
>> with
>> name: 'quartz://scheduledEvents2' and group: 'mule', because one already
>> exists with this identification.
>> at org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore.storeJob(RAMJobStore.java:222)
>> at org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore.storeJobAndTrigger(
>> RAMJobStore.java:195)
>> at org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler.scheduleJob(

insac

Apr 27, 2007, 1:05:02 PM4/27/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> [...]

>> 2007-04-27 09:06:45,369 [Awakener.2] ERROR
>> DefaultComponentExceptionStrategy:306 -
>>
>> ********************************************************************************
>> Message : Failed to start Quartz receiver
>> Type : org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException
>> Code : MULE_ERROR-60042
>> JavaDoc :
>>
>> http://mule.codehaus.org/docs/apidocs/org/mule/umo/endpoint/EndpointException.html
>>
>> ********************************************************************************
>> Exception stack is:
>> 1. Unable to store Job with name: 'quartz://scheduledEvents2' and group:
>> 'mule', because one already exists with this identification.
>> (org.quartz.ObjectAlreadyExistsException)
>> org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore:222 (null)

>> 2. Failed to start Quartz receiver (
>> org.mule.umo.endpoint.EndpointException)
>> org.mule.providers.quartz.QuartzMessageReceiver:128

Andrew Perepelytsya

Apr 27, 2007, 2:19:59 PM4/27/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org
Which method calls did you use on the connector?

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> Fabio,

org.mule.providers.SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.doConnect (SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.java:29)

        at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnectionStrategy.connect(AbstractConnectionStrategy.java:86)
        at org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.connect(AbstractConnector.java :983)
        at
org.mule.providers.SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.doConnect(SingleAttemptConnectionStrategy.java:29)
        at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnectionStrategy.connect(AbstractConnectionStrategy.java :86)
        at
org.mule.providers.AbstractConnector.startConnector(AbstractConnector.java:324)
        at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doActionOnConnector(MuleDirectorComponent.java:103)
        at
com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent.doAction(MuleDirectorComponent.java:45)
        at
org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invokeCurrent(DynamicEntryPoint.java :257)
        at org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invoke(DynamicEntryPoint.java:168)
        at
org.mule.impl.DefaultLifecycleAdapter.intercept(DefaultLifecycleAdapter.java:202)
        at org.mule.impl.InterceptorsInvoker.execute (InterceptorsInvoker.java:47)
        at org.mule.impl.model.DefaultMuleProxy.run(DefaultMuleProxy.java:475)

        at org.mule.impl.work.WorkerContext.run(WorkerContext.java:310)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
        at
>> com.insac.mule.MuleDirectorComponent . Component that caused exception is:
>> org.mule.model.DynamicEntryPoint.invokeCurrent (DynamicEntryPoint.java:257)

insac

Apr 28, 2007, 6:47:35 AM4/28/07
to us...@mule.codehaus.org

I used "stopConnector" and then "startConnector" on the UMOConnector object..

Thanks in advance,
Fabio

Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:

> Which method calls did you use on the connector?
>
> On 4/27/07, insac <in...@insac.com> wrote:
>>

>> Andrew Perepelytsya wrote:
>> >
>> > Fabio,
>> >
>> > Try restarting/initialising the connector instead, not the component.
>> >
>> > Andrew
>> >

>> Ok, that makes sense.. I've tried to restart the connector but I've got
>> another exception (stacktrace follows)
>>
>> "org.quartz.SchedulerException: The Scheduler cannot be restarted after
>> shutdown() has been called."
>>
>> If "scheduler.shutdown()" has an effect this strong, wouldn't it be more
>> appropriate to put it into the QuartzConnector "dispose" method? In the
>> QuartzConnector "stop" method, the "scheduler.pauseAll" could suffice
>> (I'm
>> not a Quartz expert, so it's likely I'm just talking nonsense).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fabio

Andrew Perepelytsya

Apr 28, 2007, 12:52:06 PM4/28/07