Cannot connect to POP server ( connect error 10060 )

Ethan Akins

Mar 21, 2010, 1:44:36 AM3/21/10

QMAIL INSTALL FROM SOURCE CODE! ( Unix )

1.) I can receive mail
2.) I can send mail

However, I am unable to connect to the server from OUTLOOK EXPRESS!

The error received is:

-ERR Cannot connect to POP server xx.xxx.xx.x, connect error 10060

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Below is additional information that may help resolve this issue! Thank you in advance for your time...

( SMTP AND POP3 PORTS ARE OPEN / VERIFIED USING Nmap )

25/tcp   open  smtp
110/tcp  open  pop3

( TCPSERVER HAS THE CORRECT IP'S AND REBUILT with 'qmailctl cdb' AFTER UPDATING )

ns1# cat /etc/tcp.smtp
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
192.168.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
myexternalip:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

* myexternalip = The IP at my house!

( ALL SERVICES APPEAR TO BE UP AND WORKING PROPERLY )

ns1# qmailctl stat
/service/qmail-pop3d: up (pid 11018) 5325 seconds
/service/qmail-pop3d/log: up (pid 11019) 5325 seconds
/service/qmail-send: up (pid 11013) 5325 seconds
/service/qmail-send/log: up (pid 11017) 5325 seconds
/service/qmail-smtpd: up (pid 11014) 5325 seconds
/service/qmail-smtpd/log: up (pid 11015) 5325 seconds
messages in queue: 39
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

( TELNET LOCALHOST 25 = CONNECTED )

ns1# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ns1.servername.com ESMTP

( TELNET LOCALHOST 110 = AUTHORIZATION FAILS )

ns1# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <13601.12...@ns1.servername.com>
user myname
+OK
pass mypassword
-ERR authorization failed
Connection closed by foreign host.

( VERIFYING CHECKPASSWORD = WORKS PROPERLY! )

ns1# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup blah /bin/checkpassword pwd
+OK <13590.1269148394@blah>
user myname
+OK
pass mypassword
/usr/home/myname

( BELOW ARE THE FILES DOWNLOADED AND CONFIGURED )

netqmail-1.06.tar.gz
ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz
daemontools-0.76.tar.gz
checkpassword-0.90.tar.gz

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.

Jeremy Kister

Mar 21, 2010, 3:06:10 AM3/21/10
On 3/21/2010 1:44 AM, Ethan Akins wrote:
> ( TELNET LOCALHOST 110 = AUTHORIZATION FAILS )

please post your /service/qmail-pop3d/run file. or if it's too big,
pastebin.com will do fine.

also, try:
svc -d /service/qmail-pop3d/
cd /service/qmail-pop3d
./run

and then see if you can authenticate with a telnet localhost 110 in
another window (pointing to an environment/path issue)

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Kyle Wheeler

Mar 21, 2010, 2:06:44 AM3/21/10

Ethan Akins

Mar 21, 2010, 2:14:36 PM3/21/10

I decided to slowly increase the softlimit on the qmail-pop3d/run file and now I am able to connect with 'telnet localhost 110' after reaching 7000000, however I'm still unable to connect using OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

Below is the /supervise/qmail-pop3d/run file and a sample to show 'telnet localhost 110' is working properly. Also, as suggested I have 'telnet localhost 110' from user this time instead of root. Any ideas from here ?

Thanks,

Ethan

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 7000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
        ns1.servername.com /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

PERMISSIONS:
-rwx--x--x  1 root  qmail  18528 Mar 19 22:53 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
-rwx------  1 root  wheel  10776 Mar 20 16:02 /bin/checkpassword
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  qmail  24096 Mar 19 22:53 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d

( TELNET LOCALHOST 110 = CONNECTED )

$ telnet localhost 110

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

user myname
+OK
pass mypassword
+OK

Adi Pircalabu

Mar 21, 2010, 7:28:34 PM3/21/10
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:14:36 +0000 Ethan Akins wrote:

> I decided to slowly increase the softlimit on the qmail-pop3d/run
> file and now I am able to connect with 'telnet localhost 110' after
> reaching 7000000, however I'm still unable to connect using OUTLOOK
> EXPRESS.

Hi Ethan,

there's maybe some more information you need to post about this problem:
- did your server-client combination ever work or is it a new
installation?
- what happens if you do 'telnet your.smtp.server 110' from your
Windows box?
- Outlook: are you using SSL for pop3? If yes, try to uncheck it and
verify if unencrypted pop3 works. Bear in mind that pop3s uses a
different port to connect to, usually 995
- are you running any antivirus on your client computer? If yes,
disable it and try again
If none of the above will render a solution for your problem, try
running the following on your smtp server:
tcpdump -nn -i any -s0 -aX -XXX -vvv port 110 or port 995
and find a way to post the output. Be careful and obfuscate your
account password used for authentication, or use a test account which
you'll have to delete afterwards.
Cheers

--
Adi Pircalabu

Ethan Akins

Mar 26, 2010, 12:25:17 PM3/26/10

I just wanted to post the solution to what I was asking if others run into the same situation. I was not able to 'telnet localhost 110' after a brand new install of Qmail. I did as noted below:

I slowly increased the softlimit on the qmail-pop3d/run file and now I am able to connect with 'telnet localhost 110' after reaching 7000000.

I was still unable to connect via Outlook Express so I checked the cisco router config and it was missing the pop3 line for NAT. I added it in and now all is good!

Have a great day!

Ethan

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:28:34 +1100
> From: ad...@gmx.net
> To: ethan...@hotmail.com
> CC: qm...@list.cr.yp.to
> Subject: Re: Cannot connect to POP server ( connect error 10060 )

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.