5.1 installation on Alix 2D13

Ron McDowell

Jun 6, 2011, 12:21:44 AM6/6/11
Hi netbsd-users,

I have an Alix 2D13 board here [with a 2gb Sandisk CF card] I'm trying
to bring up for use as a router/firewall/access point, and am having
trouble getting it to boot.

I used this as a rough guide...
http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/docs/netbsd_cf_router.html

...and here are the commands that I culled from my history file...

dd if=/dev/zero of=cf.img bs=512 count=3906560
vnconfig vnd0 cf.img
fdisk -ua0 vnd0
disklabel -e -I vnd0
newfs -B le -m 0 -o space vnd0a
mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
cd /mnt
tar xzfp ~/i386/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC.tgz
tar xzfp ~/i386/binary/sets/base.tgz
tar xzfp ~/i386/binary/sets/etc.tgz
cp /usr/mdec/boot .
installboot -e -o console=com0,speed=38400 usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
installboot -f -v -o console=com0,speed=38400 /dev/rvnd0a
usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
vi etc/fstab
cd /mnt/var
tar czf /mnt/etc/var.tgz .
rm -rf *
cd /mnt/etc
vi rc.d/mountcritlocal
vi sysctl.conf
cd
umount /mnt
vnconfig -u vnd0
dd if=cf.img of=/dev/sd0d bs=4k progress=25

The system this was all done on is a Dell D430 with a fresh 5.1 i386
release on it, same version as I'm trying to install on the Alix. It
all seemed to go well except the second installboot complained about -f
being needed so I added it.

When I boot the Alix, I get:

PC Engines ALIX.2 v0.99h
640 KB Base Memory
261120 KB Extended Memory

01F0 Master 848A SanDisk SDCFH-002G
Phys C/H/S 3875/16/63 Log C/H/S 968/64/63

>> NetBSD/x86 BIOS Boot, Revision 5.2 (from NetBSD 5.1)
>> Memory: 640/261120 k
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
booting hd0a:netbsd - starting in 0 seconds.
open netbsd: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:netbsd: No such file or directory
booting hd0a:netbsd.gz
open netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
booting hd0a:onetbsd - starting in 0 seconds.
open onetbsd: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:onetbsd: No such file or directory
booting hd0a:onetbsd.gz
open onetbsd.gz: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:onetbsd.gz: No such file or directory
booting hd0a:netbsd.old - starting in 0 seconds.
open netbsd.old: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:netbsd.old: No such file or directory
booting hd0a:netbsd.old.gz
open netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory
boot: hd0a:netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory

Any clues are welcome!!

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Andy Ruhl

Jun 6, 2011, 1:25:45 AM6/6/11
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ron McDowell <r...@fuzzwad.org> wrote:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=cf.img bs=512 count=3906560
> vnconfig vnd0 cf.img
> dd if=cf.img of=/dev/sd0d bs=4k progress=25

Is there any particular reason why you are doing this instead of just
writing to the CF card directly? I'm not sure it would matter, but
then again I've never had a problem like this when booting from flash
media when I just treat it like a "real" disk.

Andy

Ron McDowell

Jun 6, 2011, 5:23:31 PM6/6/11
Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ron McDowell <r...@fuzzwad.org> wrote:
>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=cf.img bs=512 count=3906560
>> vnconfig vnd0 cf.img
>> dd if=cf.img of=/dev/sd0d bs=4k progress=25
>>

> Is there any particular reason why you are doing this instead of just
> writing to the CF card directly? I'm not sure it would matter, but
> then again I've never had a problem like this when booting from flash
> media when I just treat it like a "real" disk.
>
> Andy

Thanks, Andy. Believe it or not, that was it. I was following the
cookbook without thinking of the process. Using sd0 as the device
instead of the .img file not only *just worked*, but also I was finished
in 15 minutes instead of 4 hours of dd-ing 2gb worth of nulls to an
empty CF. Alixbox now lives! :)

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX

Andy Ruhl

Jun 6, 2011, 6:13:31 PM6/6/11
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Ron McDowell <r...@fuzzwad.org> wrote:
> Thanks, Andy.  Believe it or not, that was it.  I was following the cookbook
> without thinking of the process.  Using sd0 as the device instead of the
> .img file not only *just worked*, but also I was finished in 15 minutes
> instead of 4 hours of dd-ing 2gb worth of nulls to an empty CF.   Alixbox
> now lives!  :)

And I had no idea that would work... :) I just never did it that way,
I always just treat these things as real disks. It might be
interesting to know if you can make an image of the disk and re-write
it later to see if it works. If not, that might be a bug.

Those Alix machines look nice, fits right into a question I asked a
little while ago:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/05/24/msg008286.html

I still need to buy an i386 based low power machine to replace my
current i386 machine...

Ron McDowell

Jun 6, 2011, 9:28:55 PM6/6/11
Andy Ruhl wrote:
> It might be
> interesting to know if you can make an image of the disk and re-write
> it later to see if it works. If not, that might be a bug.

I will be doing a lot of stuff along those lines later, as there will be
a small "production run" of these once the process is ironed out.

> Those Alix machines look nice, fits right into a question I asked a
> little while ago:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/05/24/msg008286.html
>
> I still need to buy an i386 based low power machine to replace my
> current i386 machine...
>
> Andy

If it wasn't for needing the second and third ethernet ports for this
project, I'd have gone with my favorite for tiny boxes... the Alix 3D3.
Only one ethernet port, but you get VGA, sound, and a BIOS that allows
installing via USB keyboard and CD/DVD.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX