NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 26 Jan 1998 - Special issue (#1998-62)

Automatic digest processor

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Topics in this special issue:

1. K12> Elem: Groundhog Day & El Nini site
2. K12> Round 2 of the Cyberspace Scavenger Hunt
3. RESOUR> Online Writing Classes
4. RESOUR> [GSUNET] It's all ACADEMIC...
5. RESOUR> absolute beginners astronomy and telescopes
6. MISC> How to Drive like a Moron
7. UPDATED> Jan/Feb '98 LPM magazine: Tech Update, nothing.but.net
8. K12> The President in Crisis
9. MISC> T2T> Birthday/Math fun
10. MISC> Shaggy Dog stories
11. K12> Solar System Simulator

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:02 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> Elem: Groundhog Day & El Nini site

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:41:30 -0500
From: Pat Elliott <pat.e...@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Elem: Groundhog Day & El Nini site
To: LM_...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Here is a great on-line activity for the next 6 weeks, focusing on
groundhog day. There is a distinct Canadian focus but there is a lot of
information for all. This unt is cross-curricular involving science,
geography, computers, and language arts.
Sign up is Mon. Jan 26. Don't miss out! Print off the teacher's guides
for the activities and the 6 week calendar of the program 'Project Groundhog'.

http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/Groundhog

For and excellent elementary resource for the explanation of El Nino click
here

http://www.wiarton-willie.org/~willie/welcome.htm
It is found by clicking on Related www sites; then Wiarton Wille
Homepage; then Groundhog Day; then El Nino. Searching though the many
links is worth the 'cyber trip'!

You will find maps, map making resources and weather pages.
--
Pat Elliott
Teacher/Librarian

mailto:pat.e...@sympatico.ca

list...@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:10 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> Round 2 of the Cyberspace Scavenger Hunt

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 09:39:55 +0200
From: John Derrick <jder...@total.net>
Subject: Round 2 of the Cyberspace Scavenger Hunt
To: Multiple recipients of list WEB66 <we...@tc.umn.edu>

The Hunt Begins its Third Year !

Centennial Regional High in Greenfield Park, Quebec is proud to announce
the continuation of the Cyberspace Scavenger Hunt, for 1998.

The Internet is the =B3largest library=B2 in our world, and we, as teachers
should be teaching students learn how to use this research facility. Our
research staff have scanned the Web looking for appealing and varied
questions for your and your students. Each week, a different question
will be posted, a question that will challenge student=B9s research skills
on the net.

You are free to use any Internet Resource available to you.

When you have found the answer to our question, E-MAIL YOUR ANSWERS
DIRECTLY TO ME AT THE ADDRESS BELOW. DO NOT SEND IT TO SCHOOLNET OR WEB66.

When replying to the question, PLEASE:
Include your NAME, SCHOOL and LOCATION OF YOUR SCHOOL.
Please put the appropriate subject line on your email. Thank you. Enough
said.....

Our First Question of 1998 dealt with the upcoming Winter Olympics Games.

The NHL (National Hockey League) will be suspending league games so that
their players could represent their native countries.

How many countries will be represented by NHL players, and could you name
these countries?

ANSWER: There are 9 countries that will be represented in the Olympics.
They include:
Belarus, Canada, The Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Russia, Slovakia,
Sweden, and The United States.

Congratulations to our winners for this round which includes:

Tony Voss
Eldora-New Providence Schools, Eldora, IA USA

Linda Edwards-Green (along with a grade 5 enrichment group), Fred Seymour
School, Calgary, Alberta

Brock Morrissette grade 8, George R. Austin Middle School, Lakeville,
Massachusetts=20

Jonathan D., Cesar ,Chris Y. Fourth Avenue Junior High, Yuma, Az

Cathy Meyers, St. Dominic School, Cincinnati, Ohio

Ryan Skene, Frankie Leland, Jason Milanese, Jonathan Rajala., Brocklehurst
Secondary has approximately 800 students from grade 8 through 12.
Kamloops, British Columbia.

Ian, in Mr. Dennison=B9s class, Blaine Elementary, Blaine, Washington, USA

Question Number 2

The Provinces of Quebec and Ontario were hit with, what the media calls,
=B3The Storm of the Century=B2. Millions of people were left in the dark an=
the cold.

To take my mind off our problems, my family went to see the movie TITANIC,
about thousands of people in the dark and the cold. This movie motivated
me to do some research into the ship the Titanic.

We know that that Titanic sank in the icy North Atlantic on April 14, 1912.
Most experts say that 1512 people lost their lives that day.

What was the name of the company that OWNED the Titanic, and what was the
name and location of the company that BUILT this =B3unsinkable=B2 ship

Please e-mail your answers directly to me by February 6, 1998. The
address is:
JDER...@TOTAL.NET

I will publish the list of correct responders and the correct answer in the
next edition of the Cyberspace Scavenger Hunt.

Good luck to all!

A copy of this message can be found on our school=B9s Home Page located at:

http://www.total.net/~crhs1

We invite you to come and visit our school.

I hope where ever you are, you are warm, dry and safe. Best of the New
Year to all.

Good hunting and all the best.

\^/
___ <(@!@)> ___
(___)----------------------------oooo---oooo------------------------(___)
| / | John Derrick - Centennial Regional High School | / |
| / | 880 Hudson, Greenfield Park, Quebec J4V 1H1 | / |
| | Tel: (514) 656-6100, Fax (514) 656-7621 | |
| | Voice Mail (514) 656-6108 Box 518 | |
| | Winner of the 1997 Roy C. Hill Award | |
| | Visit our web page at http://www.total.net/~crhs1 | |
(___)-------------E-mail:jder...@total.net.com---------------------(___)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:26 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Online Writing Classes

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:38:12 +0100
From: Carmel Thomaston <car...@PAINTEDROCK.COM>
Subject: Online Writing Classes
To: CAR...@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU

Online Writing Classes

Online writing classes at Painted Rock Writers and Readers Colony at

http://www.paintedrock.com begin Feb. 1 for the winter session. Go to the
main page of the website and click the link ONLINE WRITING CLASSES. There
you'll find descriptions of each class to be offered, instructor bios, and
general class and access information, including fees. All classes are
taught by writers published in their area of expertise and are reasonably
priced from $40 for a one-week seminar to $120 for a six-week class. Most
classes are $80 for four weeks. Classes include one real-time chat a week
on Painted Rock's private server and 24-hour use of a private message board
system for posting and receiving feedback on assignments, getting handouts
and networking with the instructor and other students. Online and offline
registrations are available at http://www.paintedrock.com/reg.htm For more
information contact: Carmel Thomaston at mailto:car...@paintedrock.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:18 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: RESOUR> [GSUNET] It's all ACADEMIC...

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 15:41:59 +0000
From: "Curt Davis" <cda...@syspac.com>
To: gsun...@ecnet.net
Subject: [GSUNET] It's all ACADEMIC...

Here are some *really* great sites related to Academics, college and
careers...

Find your Career - The Self-Evaluation Questionnaire For prospective
college and graduate students still undecided about which career path
to take, U.S. News offers an opportunity to take a first step in
sorting out particular skills and interests. A cool place!

http://www4.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/bccciss.htm

Here is a list of college admission's offices email addresses - very
handy if you need it:

http://www.college-scholarships.com/

Here is another very handy place - American Universities - As home
pages are found for American Universities granting bachelor or
advanced degrees, they are added here, one page per university.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/CLAS/american-universities.html

Do you know anyone who is going to college, but needs financial aid?
Welcome to the Resource Pathways College Information Community! Our
mission is to save you time and money during your college or
financial aid search, by providing you with recommendations on which
information resources you should use each step of the way. A GREAT resource!

http://www.collegeguides.com/

Here is another place that will tell you what you need to know about Ed
grants:

http://www.ed.gov/pubs/KnowAbtGrants/

The College Planning Network has Free Access to a database of scholarships:

http://www.collegeplan.org/

Still looking for financial aid? FastWeb can help - Financial Aid Search
Through the Web:

http://www.fastweb.com/

College Board Online is another handy place... Lots of great
information here to help get your college career ontrack:

http://www.collegeboard.org/

The CollegeEdge Homepage is for high school, secondary school,
international and transfer students who want to find the right
college or university and inform the right college about themselves.
Plus, information and guidance on scholarships, careers, majors, financial
aid and more!

http://www.CollegeEdge.com/

If you know anyone planning to go to college and in need of preparing
for the SAT test - this place will help - TESTPREP:

http://www.testprep.com/

CollegeNet is an online guide to colleges, universities, and graduate
programs. In addition to information on college admissions, there are
interesting educational lists, links to academic resources, and online
applications. CollegeNET also has the most comprehensive set of links
to school homepages available on the Web."

http://www.collegenet.com/

CollegeNet School Spirit provides a FREE Customized College Search
Page for High Schools, Colleges, and Universities

http://www.heavypen.com/collegenet/schoolspirit/

The Official MBA Guide provides a comprehensive source of MBA program
information for prospective MBA students:

http://mba.us.com/guide/

The Princeton Review has rapidly expanded from just 15 SAT course
students in 1981 to more than 70,000 course students of all test types

in 1996. We are now the nation's most popular standardized test
preparation company across four channels of distribution: courses,
books, software, and online services.

http://www.review.com/

Don't forget to visit:
Curt's Corner in Cyberspace

http://www.syspac.com/~cdavis

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:34 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: RESOUR> absolute beginners astronomy and telescopes

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:39:11 -0500
To: WebAn...@radix.net
From: Michael Schelling <msche...@radix.net>
Subject: absolute beginners astronomy and telescopes

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsnow/

This site provides a lot of information about telescopes and astronomy. It
answers questions like:

What kind of telescope should I buy?
What can I see?
What accessories should I buy first?
How do I locate objects in the sky?

Enjoy,
Michael

http://www.radix.net/~mschelling/education.htm
Education, Financial Aid, Health,
Missing Children, Jobs, and more...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:48 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> How to Drive like a Moron

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:59:17 -0600
From: South Mississippi Lady <sms...@netdoor.com>

How to Drive like a Moron

http://members.aol.com/doggiesnot/moron/driver/index.htm

Develop those moron skills you need to be a "better" driver!!

Don't get me wrong--most people don't need help in learning how to drive
like a moron <grin>. BUT, this site is great!

It lists general driving rules, passing rules, shopping center parking lot
rules, and so forth.

It's really a neat site --

Robin

Robin Nobles
sms...@netdoor.com
Robin's Nest for Writers and Web Surfers

http://www2.netdoor.com/~smslady/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:31:56 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: UPDATED> Jan/Feb '98 LPM magazine: Tech Update, nothing.but.net

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:23:45 -0500
From: all...@mitre.org (Burgess Allison)

The Jan/Feb '98 issue of the American Bar Association's Law
Practice Management magazine has been delivered, and the latest
"Technology Update" and "nothing.but.net" columns have been posted
on ABA Network's Web site.

LPM http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/lpmcontents.html
Tech Update http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/tu981.html
nothing.but.net http://www.abanet.org/lpm/magazine/nbn/nbn981.html

In nothing.but.net this issue: Designing Good Internet Experiences

In Tech Update this issue: The Year of Bill "all the money" Gates,
barbarians at the DOJ gate, and some of the recent antitrust claims;
then we get to the cool stuff with the very latest in continuous-speech
voice recognition. In Parting Shots, we discover that politicians and
computers don't mix.

Hope it helps!
Burgess Allison

<!-- "The first thing we do, let's connect all the lawyers." -->
<!-- -- Skip Shakespeare, Billy's smarter brother -->

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:01:43 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> The President in Crisis

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:48:19 -0500
From: George Cassutto <nh...@fred.net>
To: ed...@dhcp-srv2.oit.umass.edu
Subject: The President in Crisis

Hello Readers,

Here is a comment on the crisis facing our illustrious president:

I was honored to participate in the development in the PBS web site
entitled The Inaugural Classroom when Bill Clinton was
re-elected in 1996. In spite of his weaknesses, I respected the
President and secretly hoped that he would invite those who had worked
on the web site to meet him at the White House. As 1997 progressed, the
campaign finance scandals came to light. The fact that political donors
with big bucks were able to meet the President and sleep in the Lincoln
bedroom cheapened my dream to have the honor of meeting the President.
It seemed that only the wealthy and powerful could have access to our
elected leaders, and the average American was not important enough to
work his or her way into the Oval Office to have
personal contact with the most powerful person in the world.

Now the American public, myself included, must deal with the allegations
that have come to light this week. Those who voted
for Clinton feel deceived and cheated, as though he committed adultery
against us, violating the vow he took when he was
inaugurated. Those who did not vote for Clinton are outraged that he
could drag the nation and the Presidency through yet
another scandal, especially one that is apparently based on sexual
impulse and sheer stupidity on the part of a man who was
perceived, even by his enemies, as an intelligent person and a skilled
political operative.

I have learned over four years of writing on the Internet about breaking
news stories that predictions most often turn out wrong.
The facts of this case are not yet fully known, and in my deepest hopes,
I want to give the President the chance to vindicate himself through
proof that the allegations of the affair and obstruction of justice are
false, that they are politically motivated by his enemies who will stop
at nothing to bring him down. But in all honesty, this scenario is
unlikely. Has Clinton lied to the
American people before? Apparently so. In 1992, he emphatically stated
that Gennifer Flowers was lying in her statement that
they had an extramarital affair while he was governor of Arkansas.
Nevertheless, in the last week, he has admitted that the
affair did take place. Was he truthful about Paul Jones, about
Whitewater, The Vince Foster suicide, about Travel-gate, the
FBI Files, and campaign finance abuses? There seems to be a pattern of
deception that is at the heart of the relationship
between the President and the American People. Otherwise, the American
public will be watching to see how the evidence
unfolds, and they will be seeing who will survive this latest Clinton debacle.

I hope you'll visit our News Discussion Page
(http://www.fred.net/nhhs/newspage.html) and our page on this issue
entitled The President in Crisis at

http://www.fred.net/nhhs/newspage/prescrisis.htm. Please include your
students in the dialogue.

Take care,

George Cassutto
Teacher of Social Studies
North Hagerstown High School (MD)

http://www.fred.net/nhhs (Main Page)

http://www.fred.net/nhhs/html/cassutto.html (Personal page)
nh...@fred.net
geo...@umd5.umd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:01:51 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> T2T> Birthday/Math fun

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:41:01 -0600 (CST)
From: ddy...@islandnet.com (Debbie Dykes)
Subject: T2T> Birthday/Math fun

HI all,
Try this one out - great for practicing those calculator skills:-)
Debbie

DON'T CHEAT BY SCROLLING DOWN FIRST!!!

Work this out as you read.

Don't read the bottom until you have worked it out.!!!

1. First of all, pick the number of days a week that you would like to go
out.
2.Multiply this number by 2.
3.Add 5.
4.Multiply it by 50.
5.If you have already had your birthday this year, add 1748. If you
haven't, add 1747.
6.Last step: Subtract the four digit year that you were born.

SEE BELOW:

RESULTS:
You should now have a three digit number:

The first digit of this was your original number (i.e. how many times
you want to go out each week).
The second two digits are your age!!! It really works.
This is the only year (1998) it will ever work.
---
Teacher-2-Teacher Postings is a service of Teachnet.Com
Companion Interactive Webforum: http://www.teachnet.com/t2t.html
QUESTIONS OR TO CONTRIBUTE FINANCIALLY: mailto:st...@teachnet.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:02:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: MISC> Shaggy Dog stories

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 03:45:22 +0000
From: Bert Kortegaard <kor...@rt66.com>
Subject: Shaggy Dog stories
To: BES...@VM.EGE.EDU.TR

The origin ?? (not a chance)

http://www.it.uq.edu.au/~bof/Shaggydog/intro.html

A single story, worth a whole web page ?

http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~chidgey/Humour/shaggyDog.html

A collection:

http://www.clinton.net/~rsampson/amy/shaggy.htm
(I'm afraid that Amy is a real bitch)

This is a guy, and he's more consistent, if more obnoxious:
"If you're not familiar with shaggy dog stories, here's a definition
(you poor sap, you): A seemingly plausible (usually) story of
varying length (the longer the better, I say). As the story progresses,
the listener/reader should become more and more intrigued, even if
they know it's a shaggy dog story. The last line is always an
absolutely hideous pun" ...

http://www.teleport.com/~twisted/Entertainment/ShaggyDogs/index.htm

Some say all Boy Scout camping tales are shaggy dog stories

http://www.macscouter.com/Stories/TallTales.html

They might be right

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rvincent/guiding/songs/shaggy.htm

Some say shaggy dog stories are a kind of Zen

http://www.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1997/int/971020/essay.html
(Maybe so, but I'm not sure these are either one ... )

-------
Bert

http://www.kmike.com/bert/

http://www.koreanwar.org/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:02:08 -0600
From: Gleason Sackman <gle...@rrnet.com>
Subject: K12> Solar System Simulator

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:43:56 +0000
From: KKalamity <KKal...@aol.com>
Subject: Solar System Simulator
To: BES...@VM.EGE.EDU.TR

Hi everybody :)

I got this neato site from World Village, and I really like it !!
"If you have ever wanted to see what the Earth looked
like from Mars, or Jupiter from the Sun, or Mars from
the 3rd moon of Saturn, then this is the place for you.
It is a nice educational tool for young astronomers, as
well as sci-fi buffs."

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

Have a great week, everybody!!! :) :) :)

Kalamity

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 26 Jan 1998 - Special issue (#1998-62)