Multiple search query header views

cho...@chopps.org

Mar 22, 2016, 12:03:43 AM3/22/16
to mu-discuss, cho...@chopps.org

One thing I often wish I could do, or rather miss from my old GUI mail
program is to have multiple header/message views open. I don't think
this is currently possible, but it would be nice if e.g., one could
pin-open a query (e.g., bookmarked search). I tried the old shell trick
of renaming the *mu4e:headers* buffer but it got switch to the new query
and renamed back when I tried to open another query.

One way I could imagine using this is creating 2 frames one each having
a message headers and when selecting a message in that header view
seeing the mail displayed below it in the frame.

I also use eyebrowse workspaces which could be used similarly, but I
think the biggest key would be being able to pin open a headers view and
go from there.

Thanks,
Chris.
signature.asc

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 22, 2016, 1:43:38 PM3/22/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, cho...@chopps.org
Hi Chopps.

> One thing I often wish I could do, or rather miss from my old GUI mail
> program is to have multiple header/message views open. [...]

I'd like that too... imagine that RET opens the mail in the same frame,
and Shift-RET opens it in a new one... :)

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Mar 24, 2016, 12:52:13 AM3/24/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
This has been discussed before (search the list); I think I may even
have experimented with it... but at least then I concluded that while it
can be useful at times, it also adds quite a bit of complexity, both on
the implementation and UI side. But perhaps it can be reconsidered.

Cheers,
Dirk.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 24, 2016, 8:43:12 AM3/24/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

>> One thing I often wish I could do, or rather miss from my old GUI mail
>> program is to have multiple header/message views open. [...]

[...]

> This has been discussed before (search the list); I think I may even
> have experimented with it... but at least then I concluded that while
> it can be useful at times, it also adds quite a bit of complexity,
> both on the implementation and UI side. But perhaps it can be
> reconsidered.

From my UX experience, this depends on the use. How many of you today
use regularly multiple frames? (I do, being each like a workspace). :)