move vs refile

Gour

Apr 1, 2015, 3:45:00 AM4/1/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'd like to reorganize my archive folder(s) and wonder what is the difference
between 'move' and 'refile'?

Considering that I use mbsync (although I do not plan to sync my archive
folder) to

(setq mu4e-change-filenames-when-moving t)

I wonder what should I use to query my archive, mark messages based on
results and then move/refile (no pun intended) into appropriate folders?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Sent with my mu4e

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Apr 1, 2015, 4:21:54 AM4/1/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday Apr 01 2015, Gour wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to reorganize my archive folder(s) and wonder what is the difference
> between 'move' and 'refile'?

Ultimately, they are the same thing.

However, refiling is a bit higher-level way to move messages to some
archive-folder, where mu4e figures out the exact destination, based on
the characteristics of the message (or arbitrary elisp expressions).

> Considering that I use mbsync (although I do not plan to sync my archive
> folder) to
>
> (setq mu4e-change-filenames-when-moving t)

That is just a little hack that is needed with some imap-sync programs
because they get confused otherwise.

> I wonder what should I use to query my archive, mark messages based on
> results and then move/refile (no pun intended) into appropriate folders?

Mu4e refiling is good for interactive use, but may be a tedious to do
for your whole archive. I suppose you could do it using the cmdline mu +
some shellscripting.

E.g.:
for each m in `mu find "date:..2005" --fields l`; do echo "mv $m ~/Maildir/before_2006/cur"; done

(without the echo, obviously).

OTOH, since from mu4e's pov, folders are just a convenient tag for
messages rather than something fundamental, you don't need to be all
that granular, and come up with some search-bookmarks instead.

Cheers,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland