org-mu4e error message when attempting to link (with Org 9)

Stig Brautaset

Nov 6, 2016, 5:50:12 PM11/6/16
to mu-discuss
Hi!

I'm trying to get links to mu4e messages to work from Org Capture templates,
as in http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/master-your-inbox-with-mu4e-and-org-mode/

However, when hitting =C-c l= in a message, or header view, all I get is the
following message:

: user-error: No method for storing a link from this buffer

I am using Org version 9.0, and am wondering if the link mechanism could have
changed in incompatible ways, so that org-mu4e needs an update?
http://orgmode.org/Changes.html has this:

,----
| Links are now customizable
| Links can now have custom colors, tooltips, keymaps, display behavior, etc.
| Links are now centralized in org-link-parameters.
`----

PS: I found org-mu4e-compose-org-mode and I think I'm in love :-)

Stig

Josiah Schwab

Nov 6, 2016, 6:06:02 PM11/6/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stig,

> However, when hitting =C-c l= in a message, or header view, all I get is the
> following message:
>
> : user-error: No method for storing a link from this buffer
>
> I am using Org version 9.0, and am wondering if the link mechanism could have
> changed in incompatible ways, so that org-mu4e needs an update?

Yes, it changed. However, fixes were applied to master a ~month ago.

https://github.com/djcb/mu/pull/920
https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/947

Those changes are present in the 0.9.18 pre-release. You could give
that version (or the git master version) a try.

https://github.com/djcb/mu/releases/tag/0.9.17

Hope that helps,
Josiah

Stig Brautaset

Nov 6, 2016, 6:19:55 PM11/6/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josiah,

Josiah Schwab writes:

>> I am using Org version 9.0, and am wondering if the link mechanism could have
>> changed in incompatible ways, so that org-mu4e needs an update?
>
> Yes, it changed. However, fixes were applied to master a ~month ago.

Ah, mea culpa. I failed to find that.

> https://github.com/djcb/mu/pull/920
> https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/947
>
> Those changes are present in the 0.9.18 pre-release. You could give
> that version (or the git master version) a try.

I've just installed git master and that works beautifully. Thank you for the
quick & helpful response!

Stig

Marcin Borkowski

Dec 8, 2016, 10:44:27 AM12/8/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have just updated to Org 9 (Org mode version 9.0.1
(release_9.0.1-103-g47ca6c)) and I have the same problem. I use mu4e
0.9.17. Any hints?

Best,
Marcin
--
Marcin Borkowski

Josiah Schwab

Dec 8, 2016, 12:19:37 PM12/8/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

> I have just updated to Org 9 (Org mode version 9.0.1
> (release_9.0.1-103-g47ca6c)) and I have the same problem. I use mu4e
> 0.9.17. Any hints?

I suggest upgrading to the latest release (0.9.18), which is the first
to support org 9.X.

Josiah