Tries to send mail with firefox

henry atting

Nov 13, 2017, 10:22:42 AM11/13/17
to mu-discuss

Maybe someone here can give me a hint to solve this problem:

Since some days mu4e tries to send mail with firefox. My mu4e config has not changed. The OS is debian, which should be not to important since mu4e should read its own config and not any system settings. Whatever, I have no idea what system setting this could be, anyway, and I have no idea what causes this weird behaviour.

henry
Message has been deleted

henry atting

Nov 13, 2017, 11:54:52 AM11/13/17
to mu-discuss
Ah, mu4e tries to execute `browse-url-generic-program'. Why? How can I stop this?

Jostein Berntsen

Nov 13, 2017, 1:16:58 PM11/13/17
to mu-discuss
Check if you can set this setting in emacs:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl

Jostein

henry atting

Nov 14, 2017, 8:21:58 AM11/14/17
to mu-discuss
Mmh, sorry, but I do not get it. Why should I try to tinker with any of these settings? In fact I want to keep it as it is. `browse-url-generic-program` is set to `firefox`. which is exactly what I want; in other words I want to open links in emacs (e.g. with browse-url-at-point) with firefox. What I do not want is mu4e to call firefox when I hit `C-c C-c` in a mu4e mail buffer to send this mail.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Nov 14, 2017, 3:17:45 PM11/14/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday Nov 14 2017, henry atting wrote:

> Mmh, sorry, but I do not get it. Why should I try to tinker with any
> of these settings? In fact I want to keep it as it is.
> `browse-url-generic-program` is set to `firefox`. which is exactly
> what I want; in other words I want to open links in emacs (e.g. with
> browse-url-at-point) with firefox. What I do not want is mu4e to call
> firefox when I hit `C-c C-c` in a mu4e mail buffer to send this mail.

What does `C-c C-c`

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

henry atting

Nov 15, 2017, 8:52:47 AM11/15/17
to mu-discuss
It causes emacs to execute, as I said, `browse-url-generic`, in my case firefox, though in the mode-line mu4e pretends `mail sent' (which is not the case).

But... this is the past!

I dropped  `setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it`. And set:
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
    sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp"
    user-full-name "...")
Now it works fine again, as before. I don't understand it, but anyway. (Sigh of relief! Though mu4e is a bit fragile it seems indispensable for me.)