Problems with format=flowed

Mike Roth

Jul 10, 2015, 12:06:30 PM7/10/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if anyone else had seen the following and if they had any solutions.

I was trying out format-flowed for emails and found that it would reformat both my signature and any quoted text.  The signature was a little annoying but having quoted text significantly reformatted is a major headache.

Does anyone have any solutions to this when working with format-flowed messages?

Thanks,
mike

Damien Cassou

Jul 11, 2015, 4:52:42 AM7/11/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Mike Roth <mr...@pivotal.io> writes:

> I was trying out format-flowed for emails and found that it would reformat
> both my signature and any quoted text. The signature was a little annoying
> but having quoted text significantly reformatted is a major headache.

I abandonned format-flowed emails for this reason. I regularly write
bullet lists in my emails and I don't want them to be reflowed. I didn't
find any nice solution. Something that could work but I didn't try:
write each paragraph in just one line (i.e., never use M-q). Press RET
only when you want an hard newline (e.g., in your signature, citations,
lists, ...).

I also abandoned writing such emails because mu4e does not support
displaying them nicely.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Mike Roth

Jul 13, 2015, 9:17:58 AM7/13/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
That's unfortunate but thank you for the confirmation.

~ mike

Eduardo Mercovich

Jul 18, 2015, 8:06:10 AM7/18/15
to Mu Discuss

Hi.

> > I was trying out format-flowed for emails and found that it would reformat
> > both my signature and any quoted text.  The signature was a little annoying
> > but having quoted text significantly reformatted is a major headache.

I also abandoned for the same reason. It is not WYSIWYM and difficult to predict how it will be rendered. But is a pity...

> I abandonned format-flowed emails for this reason. I regularly write
> bullet lists in my emails and I don't want them to be reflowed.

Exactly the same reason here too.

> I didn't
> find any nice solution. Something that could work but I didn't try:
> write each paragraph in just one line (i.e., never use M-q). Press RET
> only when you want an hard newline (e.g., in your signature, citations,
> lists, ...).

I use only RET between paragraphs, but check with M-q that everything gets properly formatted. While it gets fixed width (a suboptimal solution), at least is predictable.

But I'm eager to know and try other possibilities. :)

Best...