Read-only Maildirs generate errors

John Goerzen

Oct 20, 2017, 6:03:35 PM10/20/17
to mu-discuss
Hi,

I have some archives of mail, which I have marked read-only on disk.  The reason is that I don't want to accidentally delete them, whether with mu4e or any other reader.  However, many of those messages are marked unseen, so when I view them with mu4e, instantly I get an error complaining that it can't mv the message.  As it should be!  This also prevents it from being able to Trash it.

Is there any way to suppress this error, or even this attempt on certain folders?

Thanks,

John

John Goerzen

Oct 20, 2017, 9:24:26 PM10/20/17
to mu-discuss
So I'm partway there...

I figured I could define an Archive context, and discovered
mu4e-view-auto-mark-as-read. I have an Archive context, and when in it
and when mu4e-view-auto-mark-as-read is nil, the right thing happens.

However, I can't get the Archive context to enable soon enough. I'm
guessing the :match function only runs when pressing a refile action,
not when loading a message. Is there a hook or some way I can get the
:match to run more often?

Thanks,

John

Christophe Troestler

Oct 21, 2017, 4:50:50 AM10/21/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 2017-10-21, John Goerzen wrote:

> I have some archives of mail, which I have marked read-only on disk. The reason is that I don't want to accidentally delete them, […]

Why not rename you files f → f:2,S (or simply add “S” is the “:2,” is already present) as part of making them read only? That way they will be considered already seen — which will also not highlight all your past mails in the *mu4e-headers* buffer, something you probably want as well.

My 0.02€,
C.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Oct 24, 2017, 4:26:19 PM10/24/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
There's nothing for that right now, but feel free to file a JIRA issue;
seems like a useful feature.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

John Goerzen

Nov 1, 2017, 5:45:53 PM11/1/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I did this, and it helped - until I reply to messages that also exist in
the archive. Still, it is a pretty good change.

John