Small tweaks to contact completion

Ben Maughan

Mar 11, 2016, 11:56:03 AM3/11/16
to mu-discuss
I thought some of you might find my post on tweaking contact completion interesting

http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/tweaking-email-contact-completion-in-mu4e/

In it I describe how I add favourites to the front of the contact list, offer contact completion immediately on composing a new message, and a function to insert a contact anywhere.

Cheers,
 Ben

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 11, 2016, 2:29:47 PM3/11/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben.

> I thought some of you might find my post on tweaking contact
> completion interesting
> http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/tweaking-email-contact-completion-in-mu4e/
> [...]

Great post Ben.
BTW, thank you for your pragmatic emacs.

I'm one of those who are learning emacs with it. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Ben Maughan

Mar 11, 2016, 5:39:39 PM3/11/16
to mu-discuss
You are very welcome! I'm learning a lot by writing the blog!

Ben

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Mar 12, 2016, 4:06:28 AM3/12/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Ah - nice idea!

Anyway, I would however recommend against using any mu4e~ (private)
functions and variables; those are not stable and can (and will) change
at any time. Contact completion has changed considerably in recent
releases (so the blog post only works with the 0.9.16 release), and
might change again.

Still, it's nice to see people coming up with such extensions, and it's
good feedback to see how we can make mu4e better/easier extensible.

Cheers,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Ben Maughan

Mar 12, 2016, 4:16:12 AM3/12/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On 12 Mar 2016 09:06, "Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> wrote:

> On Friday Mar 11 2016, Ben Maughan wrote:
>
> > I thought some of you might find my post on tweaking contact completion
> > interesting
> >
> > http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/tweaking-email-contact-completion-in-mu4e/
> >
> > In it I describe how I add favourites to the front of the contact list,
> > offer contact completion immediately on composing a new message, and a
> > function to insert a contact anywhere.
>
> Ah - nice idea!
>
> Anyway, I would however recommend against using any mu4e~ (private)
> functions and variables; those are not stable and can (and will) change
> at any time. Contact completion has changed considerably in recent
> releases (so the blog post only works with the 0.9.16 release), and
> might change again.

Yes, I had to make some changes with that update, but I was happy to do so as the improved contact sorting was very welcome! I should add a note about compatibility to the blog post.

Cheers,
Ben