Automatic indexing of new messages

Charles-H. Schulz

Jun 5, 2015, 3:43:52 PM6/5/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have found the topic to be covered in the documentation and perhaps it was discussed here. For some reason mu4e no longer indexes the new messages. It certainly did before but I have not changed anything to my settings.

Pressing on Shit u will get me this:
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done [2 times]
[mu4e] mu4e-main-mode

My settings for this in the init file are:

(setq mu4e-get-mail-command "offlineimap")
(setq mu4e-update-interval 600)
(setq mu4e-maildir "~/Maildir")
(setq mu4e-drafts-folder "/drafts")
(setq mu4e-trash-folder "/trash")

Is there a new entry for indexing I should add? Of course, running offlineimap and mu index separately will work but I'd like to have mu index these automatically.

Best,

Charles.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jun 7, 2015, 5:58:33 AM6/7/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Friday Jun 05 2015, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have found the topic to be covered in the documentation and perhaps it
> was discussed here. For some reason mu4e no longer indexes the new
> messages. It certainly did before but I have not changed anything to my
> settings.m
>
> Pressing on Shit u will get me this:
> [mu4e] Retrieving mail...done [2 times]
> [mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
>
> My settings for this in the init file are:
>
> (setq mu4e-get-mail-command "offlineimap")
> (setq mu4e-update-interval 600)
> (setq mu4e-maildir "~/Maildir")
> (setq mu4e-drafts-folder "/drafts")
> (setq mu4e-trash-folder "/trash")
>
> Is there a new entry for indexing I should add? Of course, running
> offlineimap and mu index separately will work but I'd like to have mu index
> these automatically.

Indexing should go automatically after `mu4e-update-mail-and-index', but
it's possible that the program used for updating the mail (offlineimap
in this case) terminates with a non-zero exit code.

A new enough mu4e has variables
mu4e-index-update-error-warning
mu4e-index-update-error-continue
to influence the behavior in that case; older mu4e would simply stop the
operation.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Charles-H. Schulz

Jun 7, 2015, 5:09:45 PM6/7/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dirk-Jan,

Le 7 juin 2015 11:58, "Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> a écrit :

> On Friday Jun 05 2015, Charles-H Schulz wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have found the topic to be covered in the documentation and perhaps it
> > was discussed here. For some reason mu4e no longer indexes the new
> > messages. It certainly did before but I have not changed anything to my
> > settings.m
> >
> > Pressing on Shit u will get me this:
> > [mu4e] Retrieving mail...done [2 times]
> > [mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
> >
> > My settings for this in the init file are:
> >
> > (setq mu4e-get-mail-command "offlineimap")
> > (setq mu4e-update-interval 600)
> > (setq mu4e-maildir "~/Maildir")
> > (setq mu4e-drafts-folder "/drafts")
> > (setq mu4e-trash-folder "/trash")
> >
> > Is there a new entry for indexing I should add? Of course, running
> > offlineimap and mu index separately will work but I'd like to have mu index
> > these automatically.
>
> Indexing should go automatically after `mu4e-update-mail-and-index', but
> it's possible that the program used for updating the mail (offlineimap
> in this case) terminates with a non-zero exit code.

That is pretty much what I would expect as well; it seems that depending on how offlineimap is launched the output is different. Today the "right" way to do it for me would be to run both offlineimap and mu index in a terminal. That way messages are fetched and indexed.

Eshell will run offlineimap with another kind of output message (I need to check it out again) but won't run mu index because of mu is already running and creates the lock on the xapian database.

> A new enough mu4e has variables
>    mu4e-index-update-error-warning
>    mu4e-index-update-error-continue
> to influence the behavior in that case; older mu4e would simply stop the
> operation.

Thanks, I will investigate.

Best,

Charles.

> Kind regards,
> Dirk.
>
> --
> Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
> e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
> pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

Charles-H. Schulz

Jun 8, 2015, 1:31:41 AM6/8/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> A new enough mu4e has variables
>    mu4e-index-update-error-warning
>    mu4e-index-update-error-continue
> to influence the behavior in that case; older mu4e would simply stop the
> operation.

One question: I run the 0.9.11 version, is that "new enough" or should I upgrade? I can't seem to find those variables.

Thanks,

Charles.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jun 9, 2015, 1:48:33 PM6/9/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,
Ah, no, those have been added early in the 0.9.12 cycle.

Charles-H. Schulz

Jun 14, 2015, 12:34:18 PM6/14/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dirk-Jan,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 7:48 PM Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> wrote:
Hi Charles,

On Monday Jun 08 2015, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> > A new enough mu4e has variables
>> >    mu4e-index-update-error-warning
>> >    mu4e-index-update-error-continue
>> > to influence the behavior in that case; older mu4e would simply stop the
>> > operation.
>>
> One question: I run the 0.9.11 version, is that "new enough" or should I
> upgrade? I can't seem to find those variables.

Ah, no, those have been added early in the 0.9.12 cycle.

Thanks! So I grabbed the 9.12 and now everything is working fine - I quite don't know why, but the indexing is working perfectly and I did not get any error message nor unusual return of value.

Cheers,

Charles.