Folder subscription & mu4e-maildir-extension

Charles-H. Schulz

Sep 2, 2016, 5:02:29 PM9/2/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have installed mu4e-maildir-extension today and it works out of the box. Cool! However it may actually work too well. 2 of my providers use IMAP folders to store data such as contacts, calendar entries, notes, etc. By default I see all of these properly updated on the mu4e start page now. But I actually do not care that much about those. I care mostly about my Inbox, Sent and Trash folders.

My question is about the ability to configure the mu4e-maildir-extension so that a selected subset of the folders is shown. Would that be possible ?

Thanks and Congratulations for such a great extension !

Charles-H. Schulz.

Hippo Man

Sep 3, 2016, 8:46:32 AM9/3/16
to mu-discuss
I believe that the `mu4e-maildirs-extension-custom-list' variable should give you what you want. Set it to a list containing the subset of maildirs that you want to see in the *mu4e-view* buffer. This will override the list containing all of the account's maildirs.

For example ...

(setq mu4e-maildirs-extension-custom-list

'( "/myaccount/INBOX"
         "/myaccount/INBOX.Sent"
         "/myaccount/INBOX.Trash" ))

You should see something like this ...

Maildirs

- myaccount (10/150)

| INBOX (3/47)

| INBOX.Sent (0/14)

| INBOX.Trash (0/21)

There is only one caveat that I have found: the counts for the "myaccount" line reflect the total number of messages in all folders, not just the folders which are displayed here.

I contacted the author of `mu4e-maildir-extension' about this, and he agreed that this is the current behavior and that it's misleading. Unfortunately, said he's not able to spend time on this package these days.

In my not-very-ample spare time, I'm working on a fix for this, but don't expect anything soon.

If you want to hack the mu4e-maildir-extension.el in order to fix this yourself, look at the `mu4e-maildirs-extension-paths' and the `mu4e-maildirs-extension-load-maildirs' functions as a starting point.

Hippo Man

Sep 3, 2016, 12:10:59 PM9/3/16
to mu-discuss
Well, I had a little more spare time than I thought, so I have posted a fix for this parent node count problem.

The patch can be found in the second message of this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mu-discuss/sVfn3xs7JF8

Charles-H. Schulz

Sep 3, 2016, 5:34:24 PM9/3/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Le 3 sept. 2016 18:11, "Hippo Man" <hipp...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Well, I had a little more spare time than I thought, so I have posted a fix for this parent node count problem.
>
> The patch can be found in the second message of this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mu-discuss/sVfn3xs7JF8

Thanks a lot for that clarification. Unfortunately, something weird happened with this extension -it messed up my emacs.elc file and my init file itself. I got rid of it and I'm not sure why it created that problem. Basically, I had error messages at start-up, and the message was pointing to "mu4e-maildirs-extension" being somehow wrong inside the elc. Not sure why, or what the issue really was. I'll investigate if I have more time.

Cheers,

Charles.

Hippo Man

Sep 3, 2016, 8:59:11 PM9/3/16
to mu-discuss
Did the weird behavior occur with my patched version of the extension, or with the original version?

Charles-H. Schulz

Sep 4, 2016, 12:53:12 PM9/4/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Le dim. 4 sept. 2016 02:59, Hippo Man <hipp...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Did the weird behavior occur with my patched version of the extension, or with the original version?

I used the version without your patch.

Best,

Charles.