getting bogus contacts

Divan Santana

May 7, 2018, 3:34:17 AM5/7/18
to mu-discuss
Hi all,

How could I go about troubleshooting why I am now getting lots of learnt
bogus contacts.

I keep getting contact addresses like this in mu:

"Blog, "Blog, Joe" <JB...@example.co.za>

I then try email this bogus contact which is obviously not right. Not
sure what is causing this?

Thanks a lot,
--
Divan

Yuri D'Elia

May 7, 2018, 1:57:34 PM5/7/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Likely Junk mail.

Divan Santana

May 7, 2018, 4:47:08 PM5/7/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, what I mean is:

"Blog, "Blog, Joe" <JB...@example.co.za> is a valid recipient.

It should read: "Blog, Joe" <JB...@example.co.za>

but instead is:

"Blog, "Blog, Joe" <JB...@example.co.za>

Notice the extra " and , which is causing issues.
--
Divan

Yuri D'Elia

May 7, 2018, 5:50:47 PM5/7/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing this out, didn't notice. Hmm, I don't see any in my
db.

As a first step I would try to find the message with that contact and
look at the headers directly.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

May 11, 2018, 7:30:46 AM5/11/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Divan,
Best ways is to file an issue on github, and attach a raw message (ie.,
the file as it lives in file system) where this problem occurs (suitable
censored of course!). Do you know how to do that?

Also, please carefully specify versions etc.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Divan Santana

May 29, 2018, 4:48:29 AM5/29/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Yuri D'Elia <wav...@thregr.org> writes:

I'm still battling this issue. I wonder if it didn't start when I
switched to davmail.

Another example contact with this issue is:

I type Jane<tab> and it completes to:

"Van der Watt, "Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>

The above is obviously wrong and creates a sending email issue. It
should be:

"Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>

If I look at ~/.mu/cache/contacts

I see this contact for instance

[janeVvanderwattOdomainVcoVza]
name=Van der Watt, Jane
email=Jane.Va...@domain.co.za
personal=true
tstamp=1527581395
frequency=443
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--

Does the above name field look right? Perhaps it should be enclosed in
double quotes?

If I look at the email headers for this contact, it appears fine to
me.

From: "Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>

I only checked a few email headers with this contact.

Any ideas?
--
Divan

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

May 30, 2018, 6:06:19 AM5/30/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday May 29 2018, Divan Santana wrote:

> Another example contact with this issue is:
>
> I type Jane<tab> and it completes to:
>
> "Van der Watt, "Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>
>
> The above is obviously wrong and creates a sending email issue. It
> should be:
>
> "Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>
>
> If I look at ~/.mu/cache/contacts
>
> I see this contact for instance

> [janeVvanderwattOdomainVcoVza]
> name=Van der Watt, Jane
> email=Jane.Va...@domain.co.za
> personal=true
> tstamp=1527581395
> frequency=443
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--

That looks just fine.

> Does the above name field look right? Perhaps it should be enclosed in
> double quotes?
>
> If I look at the email headers for this contact, it appears fine to
> me.
>
> From: "Van der Watt, Jane" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>
>
> I only checked a few email headers with this contact.

Can't reproduce the issue with contacts that have exactly that format.
Let's look at the internal representation... if you evaluate (ie., go to
just beyond the last ')', then C-x C-e) the following, you should get
the internal representation in the *Messages* buffer.

(maphash (lambda (k v)
(when (string-match "Watt" k) (message "%S" k)))
mu4e~contacts)

And check whether that includes
"\"Van der Watt, Jane\" <Jane.Va...@domain.co.za>"
or some incorrect version.

It could also be that something goes wrong with the inserting... what do
you use for completion? Or are you using any third-party packages that
might interact? Are you using the latest mu/mu4e?

Divan Santana

May 31, 2018, 5:32:19 AM5/31/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

> Hi Divan,
>
> On Monday May 07 2018, Divan Santana wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How could I go about troubleshooting why I am now getting lots of learnt
>> bogus contacts.
>>
>> I keep getting contact addresses like this in mu:
>>
>> "Blog, "Blog, Joe" <JB...@example.co.za>
>>
>> I then try email this bogus contact which is obviously not right. Not
>> sure what is causing this?
>
> Best ways is to file an issue on github, and attach a raw message (ie.,
> the file as it lives in file system) where this problem occurs (suitable
> censored of course!). Do you know how to do that?

> Also, please carefully specify versions etc.

Hi Dirk,

Sorry I missed this reply previosly.

I'll do that.

Thanks