toward mu 1.0

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Oct 4, 2017, 3:25:39 AM10/4/17
to mu-discuss
Dear friends of mu & mu4e,

It's been a while since mu 0.9.18, and although things have been rather
quiet in mu-land, a lot of fixes / features have gone in. I'll be
checking for regressions, update documentation etc., and prepare a
release in a few weeks.

For this next version, I plan on using _1.0_ -- not because there's
nothing more to do, but because we've been at 0.9.x for quite a long
time, and code is not expected to change too much.

After 1.0, I'm planning on some 2.x-branch, to do some bigger changes in
the backend (ie. the mu core), to address some of the things which are
hard to achieve using the current (almost 10 year old!) approach.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Christopher Allan Webber

Oct 6, 2017, 12:04:01 PM10/6/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema writes:

> Dear friends of mu & mu4e,
>
> It's been a while since mu 0.9.18, and although things have been rather
> quiet in mu-land, a lot of fixes / features have gone in. I'll be
> checking for regressions, update documentation etc., and prepare a
> release in a few weeks.
>
> For this next version, I plan on using _1.0_ -- not because there's
> nothing more to do, but because we've been at 0.9.x for quite a long
> time, and code is not expected to change too much.
>
> After 1.0, I'm planning on some 2.x-branch, to do some bigger changes in
> the backend (ie. the mu core), to address some of the things which are
> hard to achieve using the current (almost 10 year old!) approach.
>
> Anyway, I'll keep you posted!
>
> Kind regards,
> Dirk.

Exciting! Thanks for all your work on mu(4e) :)

Charles-H. Schulz

Oct 6, 2017, 4:14:45 PM10/6/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dirk-Jan,

Cool! How can we help?
BTW, I'd like to add my own (humble) grain of salt: if the 1.0 release does not ship anything major, you may want to squash a few more bugs so that the "1.0" really takes the meaning of a "super" stable release. Not that I've experienced anything unstable with stable releases so far of course, but I'm just highlighting a possible path towards consistency of future major releases :-)

Cheers,

Charles.

Eduardo Mercovich

Oct 9, 2017, 8:50:53 AM10/9/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dirk.

> [...] I'll be checking for regressions, update documentation
> etc., and prepare a release in a few weeks.
> For this next version, I plan on using _1.0_ -- not because
> there's nothing more to do, but because we've been at 0.9.x for
> quite a long time, and code is not expected to change too much.

Congratulations. :)
Is it anything -beyond programming, in my case- that we can do to
help? Maybe review some docs, or try something? Or other things?

> After 1.0, I'm planning on some 2.x-branch, to do some bigger
> changes in the backend (ie. the mu core), to address some of the
> things which are hard to achieve using the current (almost 10
> year old!) approach.

Great news. b^.^d

--
Eduardo Mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.
(Anónimo)

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Oct 9, 2017, 12:46:14 PM10/9/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Monday Oct 09 2017, Eduardo Mercovich wrote:

> Hello Dirk.
>
>> [...] I'll be checking for regressions, update documentation etc.,
>> and prepare a release in a few weeks.
>> For this next version, I plan on using _1.0_ -- not because there's
>> nothing more to do, but because we've been at 0.9.x for quite a long
>> time, and code is not expected to change too much.
>
> Congratulations. :)
> Is it anything -beyond programming, in my case- that we can do to
> help? Maybe review some docs, or try something? Or other things?

Sure, help is very welcome! No idea if people still read documentation
in 2017 :-) but I suspect some do.

For non-coding help, going through the docs (the manual, man-pages,
docstrings etc.) would be useful. Everything from proofreading for
clarity, typos etc., to adding examples etc., and preparing pull
requests.