dynamic window title while composing email

Ken Mankoff

Aug 22, 2017, 2:25:37 AM8/22/17
to mu-discuss
Hi,

I'm looking into automatic task/time trackers (see for example https://arbtt.nomeata.de/) and most use the window title to track things. I'm wondering if it is possible for mu4e to update the window title (with the email Subject: field or To: field or the Context, etc.) whenever the Subject: or To: field changes.

Perhaps this is more useful than I realize. If the string after "cur" remains the same (I believe the ":2,DS" part may change), then I can record that and find out exactly how long I spent writing each email. But I don't need that level of resolution, it would just be nice to know the To: or Subject: fields and categorize based on keywords there (if they appear).

-k.

Ken Mankoff

Aug 22, 2017, 2:28:06 AM8/22/17
to mu-discuss

And similarly, and presumably much more easily, how would I set the title when reading an existing email to something other than "*mu4e-view*"?

Thanks,

-k.

Yuri D'Elia

Aug 22, 2017, 5:29:20 AM8/22/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 22 2017, Ken Mankoff wrote:
> And similarly, and presumably much more easily, how would I set the
> title when reading an existing email to something other than
> "*mu4e-view*"?

For a quick glance:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameTitle

You could do that in the 'mu4e-view-hook.

Doing the same in a compose buffer is tricker, as the subject is not
fixed and can be modified. But similarly, you have mu4e-compose-hook
where you could locate the pre-set subject using, for example,
message-goto-subject.

It depends on what kind of detail you need on the subject.