Strange emacs lockup

Yuri D'Elia

Jul 30, 2016, 1:40:56 PM7/30/16
to mu-discuss
On the headers view on some junk folders, I can "almost reliably" make
emacs lockup by just moving the cursor in the buffer. That is, I do not
need to open the message view.

The message itself doesn't seem to be the culprit, as changing the query
to shuffle the messages around makes the lockup happen on a different
message.

By attaching with gdb, emacs seems to be burning cycles in a malloc/free
endless loop. I didn't spend too much time on it, as my gut feeling
somehow tells me it has do to more with the locale of the subject line
than anything else. I cannot replicate the behavior except in junk
folders.

Does anybody else experience anything similar?
FYI, I'm using emacs24 from debian unstable.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 30, 2016, 3:31:13 PM7/30/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuri,
We're discussing such a thing (it sounds somewhat similar):
would be great if you could generate a backtrace using 'xbacktrace'.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Yuri D'Elia

Aug 30, 2016, 7:06:56 AM8/30/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 30 2016, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> wrote:
>> By attaching with gdb, emacs seems to be burning cycles in a malloc/free
>> endless loop. I didn't spend too much time on it, as my gut feeling
>> somehow tells me it has do to more with the locale of the subject line
>> than anything else. I cannot replicate the behavior except in junk
>> folders.
>>
>> Does anybody else experience anything similar?
>> FYI, I'm using emacs24 from debian unstable.
>
> We're discussing such a thing (it sounds somewhat similar):
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24109
> would be great if you could generate a backtrace using 'xbacktrace'.

After reading the full thread, it seems indeed related to long lines. I
noticed I could just (toggle-truncate-lines -1) to make the problem
disappear.

Incidentally, the hung seem to happen when moving the cursor up _to_ a
truncated long line.

I'm building now the current emacs head to see if I can get a decent
backtrace.