staying at point when mu4e-header buffer updates

Zip Random

Feb 4, 2015, 7:28:21 AM2/4/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dear mu4e-list,

I often notice that the cursor line, marking the mail and thereby the position in the list of mails I was currently looking at in the header-view is not preserved when the buffer updates due to an mu-process refresh, or myself toggling options like: show-related or skip duplicates. I would love some algorithm that remembers the unique id of the message currently under cursor in the header view, and places the cursor there, if the message is still to be found after the update.

For the use case of related messages, this would enhance my workflow, as I tend to hide them generally, and want to see them for specific messages. So I would like to be able to switch related messages view on and of without loosing my position in the buffer (the later of course would only work, if I switched related messages of while pointing the cursor-line on the one message, that would still be there afterwards ..)

needless to say: mu + mu4e is an indispensable tool. I can hardly imagine email without it.

greetings,
zip.

Alexis

Feb 7, 2015, 4:20:22 AM2/7/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Zip Random writes:

> I often notice that the cursor line, marking the mail and
> thereby the position in the list of mails I was currently
> looking at in the header-view is not preserved when the buffer
> updates due to an mu-process refresh, or myself toggling options
> like: show-related or skip duplicates. I would love some
> algorithm that remembers the unique id of the message currently
> under cursor in the header view, and places the cursor there, if
> the message is still to be found after the update.

+1 from me!

Alexis.

Ondra Kudlík

Feb 7, 2015, 9:02:43 AM2/7/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
+1

Eduardo Mercovich

Feb 10, 2015, 4:00:28 PM2/10/15
to Mu Discuss
+1

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Ondra Kudlík <kep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1

>> Zip Random writes:
>>
>>> I often notice that the cursor line, marking the mail and thereby the
>>> position in the list of mails I was currently looking at in the header-view
>>> is not preserved when the buffer updates due to an mu-process refresh, or
>>> myself toggling options like: show-related or skip duplicates. I would love
>>> some algorithm that remembers the unique id of the message currently under
>>> cursor in the header view, and places the cursor there, if the message is
>>> still to be found after the update.
>>

>> +1 from me!
>>

>> Alexis.
>>

>> --