newbie questions

Wheeler Ruml

Jul 3, 2015, 4:38:30 PM7/3/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I am a longtime vm user but am trying to switch over to mu4e.  Many thanks to all who were involved in the mu4e project - it seems like a great package!

I have a few questions that I could not solve by myself from reading the manual.  I'm not an elisp guru at all so my apologies if some of these are obvious!  I'm running 0.9.12 (compiled from a github tarball) with emacs 24.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.2.

1) the header view is not updating after C-S-u.  More specifically, it will update if point is in the header view but not if point is in the message view (where it usually is).  The database is updating just fine and I see the new messages in my inbox if I bother to jump there again, but not if I'm already reading messages there already, which is unfortunately my usual practice (using the horizontal split layout).

2) is there a way to avoid the confirmation question when executing marks?  it looks like the elisp has an optional argument for this but I don't know how to use that get this behavior.

3) the manual FAQ refers to a discussion of making aliases for groups but the reference seems to be broken?

4) the github tarball says 0.9.12 but the code reports version 0.9.11?  Does this indicate a problem?

Many thanks if anyone has tips on any of the above (or pointers to where I ought to be searching for answers)!

Wheeler

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 5, 2015, 5:46:41 AM7/5/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Friday Jul 03 2015, Wheeler Ruml wrote:

> I am a longtime vm user but am trying to switch over to mu4e. Many thanks
> to all who were involved in the mu4e project - it seems like a great
> package!

Welcome!

> I have a few questions that I could not solve by myself from reading the
> manual. I'm not an elisp guru at all so my apologies if some of these are
> obvious! I'm running 0.9.12 (compiled from a github tarball) with emacs
> 24.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.2.
>
> 1) the header view is not updating after C-S-u. More specifically, it will
> update if point is in the header view but not if point is in the message
> view (where it usually is). The database is updating just fine and I see
> the new messages in my inbox if I bother to jump there again, but not if
> I'm already reading messages there already, which is unfortunately my usual
> practice (using the horizontal split layout).

The code to re-query in the background tries to be smart when to update
(and when not to update) the current header while not disturbing the
user... but perhaps it could do better. I'll take a look.

> 2) is there a way to avoid the confirmation question when executing marks?
> it looks like the elisp has an optional argument for this but I don't know
> how to use that get this behavior.

The confirmation is there to prevent accidents, there's no automatic way
to turn that off. But you can of course create keyboard macro that does
'xy', and even bind that to some key if you want.

> 3) the manual FAQ refers to a discussion of making aliases for groups but
> the reference seems to be broken?

That link should work if you have the necessary info files
installed... and it work in the web version.

> 4) the github tarball says 0.9.12 but the code reports version 0.9.11?
> Does this indicate a problem?

I think there was a short window where tag was incorrect... but it's
okay right now.

,----
| % mu --version
| mu (mail indexer/searcher) version 0.9.12
| Copyright (C) 2008-2015 Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
| License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
| This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
| There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law
`----

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

jl...@laposte.net

Jul 14, 2015, 5:00:52 AM7/14/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Wheeler Ruml <wheeler.ruml@...> writes:

> I am a longtime vm user but am trying to switch over to mu4e.  Many thanks
> to all who were involved in the mu4e project - it seems like a great package!

I'm exactly in the same situation.  I've been using VM since 1995 at least
but would like to migrate to Mu4e if I can keep most of the features I like.

For instance, is there in mu4e an equivalent of Personality Crisis (vmpc.el)
or something like gnus-alias or posting-styles?

Please Wheeler (or anyone else coming from the VM world) do not refrain from
posting the step by step details of your migration from VM to mu4e.

I'd be particularly interested to know how you transform your VM folders
into mu4e maildirs.

Wheeler Ruml

Jul 14, 2015, 12:32:26 PM7/14/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Please Wheeler (or anyone else coming from the VM world) do not refrain from
posting the step by step details of your migration from VM to mu4e.

I'd be particularly interested to know how you transform your VM folders
into mu4e maildirs.

I used mb2md (with the -s and -d flags, giving absolute pathnames).  I had mboxes scattered all over my filesystem so instead I took my outgoing and incoming email archives, split them into years using a simple perl script, and converted the years using mb2md.

I was very nervous abandoning my old habit of archiving messages into known places, but I'm getting used to just searching for them, and haven't had any problem yet.  mu4e is working well for me so far, with one exception - the reindexing when receiving new mail is still slow (like 20 seconds).  I haven't had time to try to isolate the problem properly.  "offlineimap" and "mu index" each run quickly (a couple of seconds - I'm using ,noupdate files in my archive maildirs), but from mu4e the updating process takes a while.  I think it might be caused by a large number of contacts (mu4e says 13,400).

Good luck!

Wheeler

Eduardo Mercovich

Jul 18, 2015, 8:21:19 AM7/18/15
to Mu Discuss

Hi Wheeler.

> [...] the reindexing when receiving new mail is still slow (like 20 seconds).  I haven't had time to try to isolate the problem properly.  "offlineimap" and "mu index" each run quickly (a couple of seconds - I'm using ,noupdate files in my archive maildirs), but from mu4e the updating process takes a while.  I think it might be caused by a large number of contacts (mu4e says 13,400).

I have ~130.000 msgs and ~11.000 contacts and it doesn't take that long. I don'n know exactly the % of .noupdat(ed) but is not very high. All this runs on a 7 year old Dell Inspiron with only 2 Gb of RAM running Crunchbang linux (a minimalist Debian based distro).

I don't know what could it be that slows down your case...

Best.