Mailing list management

Divan Santana

Mar 27, 2016, 12:11:09 AM3/27/16
to mu-discuss
Hi Mu Users,

Loving Mu (and Emacs) so far.

Have a question wrt mailing list management...

(I know you all will have good suggestions/input wrt mailing list
management. It's long overdue since I sorted out my mailing list emails
once again.)

I've adopted the "simple" method for managing ones mail. That is
described quite nicely in Ben's post[1]. (PS Ben, your posts are great).

Basically archiving all mail in one archive folder/maildir.

Keeping the above in mind, I'm wondering though, what is the best way to
handle mailing list mails?

Do I:

1) Let them come through to my inbox and just refile them to /Archive
once actioned.

2) Configure multiple folders/maildirs on IMAP server and setup sieve
rules to file them before it hits mu4e?

3) Configure IMAP server to auto archive all mailing list mails to
/Archive and leave them as unread. Then configure a search query in mu4e
to display the mailing list mails.

Your thoughts?

[1]: http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/master-your-inbox-with-mu4e-and-org-mode/

--
Divan

Florian Lindner

Mar 27, 2016, 12:22:21 PM3/27/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm having a distinct target folder for each mailing list and I keep the mails
there. In ordner to not have to create the folder each time I subscribe to a
new list, I did some python programming:

https://github.com/floli/server/blob/master/detect_maillist.py

It's being run server side by the MDA (maildrop, like procmail):

xfilter "~/server/detect_maillist.py"
if (/^X-Target-Folder: (.*)$/)
{
to "$MDIR/$ADR/.$MATCH1" # Mind the dot!
}
to "$MDIR/$ADR"

It takes the mail from stdin, tries to detect the list, creates the folder it
needed and writes the list name aka target folder to X-Target-Folder.

Works reliable here, I'm eagy to hear your comments...

Best,
Florian

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 27, 2016, 7:50:29 PM3/27/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Divan.

> Have a question wrt mailing list management...
> I've adopted the "simple" method for managing ones mail. That is
> described quite nicely in Ben's post[1]. (PS Ben, your posts are great).
> Basically archiving all mail in one archive folder/maildir. [...]

I do the same. It makes easy to manage folders since they are reduced to
a minimum and it allows me to group closely related lists in one
"thematic" bookmark.

For example, a couple of org-mode lists are shown together.
Or you may see mu4e list with it's git notifications if thats what you
like.

But it's a personal issue. Each has it's own method that is useful for
her/him, and thats the only rule that matters. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Mar 28, 2016, 3:41:55 AM3/28/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Divan,

On Sunday Mar 27 2016, Divan Santana wrote:

> Hi Mu Users,
>
> Loving Mu (and Emacs) so far.
>
> Have a question wrt mailing list management...
>
> (I know you all will have good suggestions/input wrt mailing list
> management. It's long overdue since I sorted out my mailing list emails
> once again.)
>
> I've adopted the "simple" method for managing ones mail. That is
> described quite nicely in Ben's post[1]. (PS Ben, your posts are great).
>
> Basically archiving all mail in one archive folder/maildir.

I'm following that as well, and applying a bit of GTD/'Inbox
Zero'.

However, apart from some mailing lists that I follow a bit more closely
(like this one) most mailing-list messages initially go to a special
"bulkmail" folder, which I take a look at only occasionally (life is too
short etc.)

When I visit that folder, I scan through it, deleted most, read a
few. Particularly interesting ones I refile to a bulkarchive folder.

The bulkmail folder is filled from a few different sources, but mostly
using a combination of fetchmail/procmail. I don't maintain separate
folders for separate lists, and mu4e has a special ':mailing-list'
header to distinguish them in the headers view.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Divan Santana

Mar 29, 2016, 4:10:51 AM3/29/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
--
Best regards,

Divan Santana

Red Hat Certified Architect

RHCA | CCNA | MCSE

Mobile: +27 82 787 8522
Email: di...@santanas.co.za

Divan Santana

Mar 29, 2016, 4:14:16 AM3/29/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

> Hi Divan,
>
> On Sunday Mar 27 2016, Divan Santana wrote:
>
>> Hi Mu Users,
>>
>> Loving Mu (and Emacs) so far.
>>
>> Have a question wrt mailing list management...
>>
>> (I know you all will have good suggestions/input wrt mailing list
>> management. It's long overdue since I sorted out my mailing list emails
>> once again.)
>>
>> I've adopted the "simple" method for managing ones mail. That is
>> described quite nicely in Ben's post[1]. (PS Ben, your posts are great).
>>
>> Basically archiving all mail in one archive folder/maildir.
>
> I'm following that as well, and applying a bit of GTD/'Inbox
> Zero'.
>
> However, apart from some mailing lists that I follow a bit more closely
> (like this one) most mailing-list messages initially go to a special
> "bulkmail" folder, which I take a look at only occasionally (life is too
> short etc.)
>
> When I visit that folder, I scan through it, deleted most, read a
> few. Particularly interesting ones I refile to a bulkarchive folder.
>
> The bulkmail folder is filled from a few different sources, but mostly
> using a combination of fetchmail/procmail. I don't maintain separate
> folders for separate lists, and mu4e has a special ':mailing-list'
> header to distinguish them in the headers view.

Thanks to all the for replies and input. :)

I particular like Dirk's ideas above and will likely be doing something similar.