mu 1.0 unleashed

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Feb 3, 2018, 10:13:10 AM2/3/18
to mu-discuss
Dear all,

After more than a year since the last release and after almost a decade
of development, mu has reached version 1.0 -- see below for some
details.

https://github.com/djcb/mu/releases/tag/v1.0

Apart from a lot of fixes and small tweaks, the biggest change is the
new query-parser; that resolved quite a bunch of bug reports and feature
requests, and adds new fun things like regexp-matching. I recommend the
new `mu-query` man-page for the details / examples.

With 1.0 out of the door, I'd like to do some bigger changes, needed for
fixing some limitations and allow for new cool things. Let's see how
much time I can reserve for that :-)

Anyway, many thanks to all for contributing in whatever way, it's been a
fun ride!

Kind regards,
Dirk.

# mu

- New, custom query parser which replaces Xapian's 'QueryParser'
both in mu and mu4e. Existing queries should still work, but the
new engine handles non-alphanumeric queries much better.
- Support regular expressions in queries (with the new query engine),
e.g. "subject:/foo.*bar/". See the new `mu-query` and updated
`mu-easy` manpages for examples.
- cfind: ensure nicks are unique
- auxiliary programs invoked from mu/mu4e survive terminating the
shell / emacs

# mu4e

- Allow for rewriting message bodies
- Toggle-menus for header settings
- electric-quote-(local-)mode work when composing emails
- Respect format=flowed and delsp=yes for viewing plain-text
messages
- Added new mu4e-split-view mode: single-window
- Add menu item for `untrash'.p
- Unbreak abbrevs in mu4e-compose-mode
- Allow forwarding messages as attachments
(`mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment')
- Default to 'skip duplicates' and 'include headers' in
headers-view, which should be good defaults for most users. Can
be customized using `mu4e-headers-skip-duplicates' and
`mu4e-headers-include-related', respectively.
- Many bug fixed (see github for all the details).
- Updated documentation

# Contributors for this release:

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason, Alex Bennée, Arne Köhn, Christophe
Troestler, Damien Garaud, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema, galaunay, Hong Xu,
Ian Kelling, John Whitbeck, Josiah Schwab, Jun Hao, Krzysztof
Jurewicz, maxime, Mekeor Melire, Nathaniel Nicandro, Ronald Evers,
Sean 'Shaleh' Perry, Sébastien Le Callonnec, Stig Brautaset,
Thierry Volpiatto, Titus von der Malsburg, Vladimir Sedach, Wataru
Ashihara, Yuri D'Elia.

And all the people on the mailing-list and in github, with bug
reports, questions and suggestions.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Christopher Lemmer Webber

Feb 3, 2018, 12:35:52 PM2/3/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! This is great news! :)

Laurence Rochfort

Feb 5, 2018, 4:24:18 AM2/5/18
to mu-discuss
Thanks for all your work.

I couldn't live without mu and mu4e!

Eduardo Mercovich

Feb 5, 2018, 10:38:32 AM2/5/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk.

> After more than a year since the last release and after almost a
> decade of development, mu has reached version 1.0 [...] Anyway,
> many thanks to all for contributing in whatever way, it's been a
> fun ride!

It's we all that have to thank you and the rest of the
contributors.
Our days would certainly be less productive -and joyful- if
weren't for your dedication to this wonderful tool.

Congratulations for this version 1!

May it be the 1st of many...

--
Eduardo Mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.
(Anónimo)

Charles-H. Schulz

Feb 5, 2018, 4:52:40 PM2/5/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Le lun. 5 févr. 2018 à 16:38, Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hi Dirk.

> After more than a year since the last release and after almost a
> decade of development, mu has reached version 1.0 [...] Anyway,
> many thanks to all for contributing in whatever way, it's been a
> fun ride!

It's we all that have to thank you and the rest of the
contributors.
Our days would certainly be less productive -and joyful- if
weren't for your dedication to this wonderful tool.

Congratulations for this version 1!

May it be the 1st of many...

Ditto! It's impressive to look at all the work achieved and the good reputation of the project. But perhaps more importantly it's both your creative and technical skills as well as your ability to integrate the various inputs of the community that brought mu to where it is now.

I can't wait for the 2.0!

Best,

Charles.

--

Eduardo Mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.
 (Anónimo)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason

Feb 22, 2018, 8:01:48 AM2/22/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Feb 03 2018, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema jotted:

> Dear all,
>
> After more than a year since the last release and after almost a decade
> of development, mu has reached version 1.0 -- see below for some
> details.
>
> https://github.com/djcb/mu/releases/tag/v1.0
>
> Apart from a lot of fixes and small tweaks, the biggest change is the
> new query-parser; that resolved quite a bunch of bug reports and feature
> requests, and adds new fun things like regexp-matching. I recommend the
> new `mu-query` man-page for the details / examples.
>
> With 1.0 out of the door, I'd like to do some bigger changes, needed for
> fixing some limitations and allow for new cool things. Let's see how
> much time I can reserve for that :-)
>
> Anyway, many thanks to all for contributing in whatever way, it's been a
> fun ride!

Thanks a lot for all your work on this. Having the regex feature is
great, it replaced a lot of misuse of globbing and AND/OR in my setup
just to match some subject lines in my setup.