Error message when opening a message

Charles-H. Schulz

Apr 17, 2016, 7:09:33 AM4/17/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Today I was opening a new message and the message buffer went blank with no mention of "Waiting for message...".

There was however an error message:

error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

I opened the message through another client and while it had nothing "special" it was an html message. What I do not understand is that while I usually have no problem with html message (opened via shr) this one cannot be opened. It has no image, no smiley or emoticons, just coloured fonts which I suspect come from an Outlook client.

Is there a setting I should change or add in my configuration to avoid similar cases?

Thank you,

Charles.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Apr 17, 2016, 2:50:37 PM4/17/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,
The error is typically seen when elisp recurses a bit too deep; perhaps
due to some issue with the html-rendering.

You could try to experiment a bit with `mu4e-html2text-command', and see
if you can reproduce the problem if you change it.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Nicolas Richard

Apr 17, 2016, 4:44:02 PM4/17/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Charles-H. Schulz <charles....@gmail.com> writes:
> error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds
> max-specpdl-size

As Dirk-Jan says, seeing that error together with your mention of shr,
it means it's almost certainly an issue with the deeply nested
structures that shr uses. I know `shr' improved in this area last year,
so you may want to give the emacs-25.1 pretest (named 25.0.9x) a try and
see if that helps.

If you're already using a snapshot, you can also try increasing
max-specpdl-size to some larger value.

HTH,

Nicolas.

Eduardo Mercovich

Apr 17, 2016, 6:24:20 PM4/17/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles.

[...]
>> error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

I also found this message when I had mixed installations (local package
plus compiled one).

Just to be sure it's not the case... :)

Best.

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Charles-H. Schulz

Apr 18, 2016, 9:59:01 AM4/18/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Hi Charles.

[...]
>> error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

I also found this message when I had mixed installations (local package
plus compiled one).

Just to be sure it's not the case... :)

I don't think so. My mu stems from the AUR(ArchLinux) and is the main package version (0.9.16) while my emacs itself is the canonical package from the ArchLinux base. The other packages are ELPA/MELPA.

Best,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz

Apr 18, 2016, 10:00:46 AM4/18/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dirk-Jan,

Hi Charles,

On Sunday Apr 17 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I was opening a new message and the message buffer went blank with no
> mention of "Waiting for message...".
>
> There was however an error message:
>
> error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>>

> I opened the message through another client and while it had nothing
> "special" it was an html message. What I do not understand is that while I
> usually have no problem with html message (opened via shr) this one cannot
> be opened. It has no image, no smiley or emoticons, just coloured fonts
> which I suspect come from an Outlook client.
>
> Is there a setting I should change or add in my configuration to avoid
> similar cases?

The error is typically seen when elisp recurses a bit too deep; perhaps
due to some issue with the html-rendering.

You could try to experiment a bit with `mu4e-html2text-command', and see
if you can reproduce the problem if you change it.

hmm that seems to be the compelling explanation. However, I'm not sure about the options available for mu4e-html2text-command besides deactivating the default behaviour?

Thanks,

Charles.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Apr 18, 2016, 10:46:42 AM4/18/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Monday Apr 18 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

>> > Is there a setting I should change or add in my configuration to avoid
>> > similar cases?
>>
>> The error is typically seen when elisp recurses a bit too deep; perhaps
>> due to some issue with the html-rendering.
>>
>> You could try to experiment a bit with `mu4e-html2text-command', and see
>> if you can reproduce the problem if you change it.
>>

> hmm that seems to be the compelling explanation. However, I'm not sure
> about the options available for mu4e-html2text-command besides deactivating
> the default behaviour?

C-h v mu4e-html2text-command RET

lists a number of options.

Charles-H. Schulz

Apr 21, 2016, 2:48:25 PM4/21/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dirk-Jan,

On Monday Apr 18 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

>> > Is there a setting I should change or add in my configuration to avoid
>> > similar cases?
>>
>> The error is typically seen when elisp recurses a bit too deep; perhaps
>> due to some issue with the html-rendering.
>>
>> You could try to experiment a bit with `mu4e-html2text-command', and see
>> if you can reproduce the problem if you change it.
>>

> hmm that seems to be the compelling explanation. However, I'm not sure
> about the options available for mu4e-html2text-command besides deactivating
> the default behaviour?

  C-h v mu4e-html2text-command RET

lists a number of options.

Indeed, changing the default value from shr2text to html2text did the trick. Although I must admit I prefer the former setting for my other emails -oh well, that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Thank you,

Charles.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Apr 21, 2016, 5:22:27 PM4/21/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday Apr 21 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

>> > hmm that seems to be the compelling explanation. However, I'm not sure
>> > about the options available for mu4e-html2text-command besides
>> deactivating
>> > the default behaviour?
>>
>> C-h v mu4e-html2text-command RET
>>
>> lists a number of options.
>>

> Indeed, changing the default value from shr2text to html2text did the
> trick. Although I must admit I prefer the former setting for my other
> emails -oh well, that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Indeed, shr typically renders things in a bit nicer way. So it's
probably worth filing a bug for that (M-x report-emacs-bug), if you can
isolate the problem a bit.

Charles-H. Schulz

Apr 22, 2016, 4:14:11 AM4/22/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday Apr 21 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

>> > hmm that seems to be the compelling explanation. However, I'm not sure
>> > about the options available for mu4e-html2text-command besides
>> deactivating
>> > the default behaviour?
>>
>>   C-h v mu4e-html2text-command RET
>>
>> lists a number of options.
>>

> Indeed, changing the default value from shr2text to html2text did the
> trick. Although I must admit I prefer the former setting for my other
> emails -oh well, that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Indeed, shr typically renders things in a bit nicer way. So it's
probably worth filing a bug for that (M-x report-emacs-bug), if you can
isolate the problem a bit.

I'll try to do that if I can come up with meaningful data. FWIW what I can state empirically is that I encountered that behaviour with 2 emails that were sent by 2 different people and edited by Outlook 2014. They were formatted in this horrible Outlook html; No heavy formating in these, just grey blue coloured fonts for no other reason to make everybody else's life miserable . I managed to see how they were supposed to be displayed through Evolution.

Cheers,

Charles.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

Charles-H. Schulz

Sep 14, 2016, 3:53:02 PM9/14/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This thread is quite old, but I just wanted to provide a brief update on the topic. I received again today an email sent from an Outlook 2014 client and it did exhibit the same symptom when using shr (and not using html2text): the window will simply freeze and an error message will appear.

My point is that we may be having a trend here, if everyone using Outlook 2014 sends around html messages; and I'm sure there aren't many people who would think to disable that feature.

Best,

Charles.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Sep 19, 2016, 1:49:24 PM9/19/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

On Wednesday Sep 14 2016, Charles-H Schulz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This thread is quite old, but I just wanted to provide a brief update on
> the topic. I received again today an email sent from an Outlook 2014 client
> and it did exhibit the same symptom when using shr (and not using
> html2text): the window will simply freeze and an error message will appear.

> My point is that we may be having a trend here, if everyone using Outlook
> 2014 sends around html messages; and I'm sure there aren't many people who
> would think to disable that feature.

This is likely a problem that can only be fixed in shr; if you can
isolate the offending html part (ie., see `mu extract' to get the right
part), then file a bug against emacs (which is where shr is maintained
now, I think).