Cannot forward any mail

henry atting

Dec 12, 2017, 3:24:43 PM12/12/17
to mu-discuss
When I try to forward any mail (`F`) I get this error message:

error in process filter: if: Symbol’s value as variable is void: mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment
error in process filter: Symbol’s value as variable is void: mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment

What am I missing?

henry

Mark Skilbeck

Dec 12, 2017, 4:16:10 PM12/12/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
What version of mu/mu4e are you using?

henry atting

Dec 13, 2017, 3:42:30 AM12/13/17
to mu-discuss
Sorry, I forgot...

mu4e - mu for emacs version 0.9.18 C
mu (mail indexer/searcher) version 0.9.18

Mark Skilbeck

Dec 13, 2017, 5:05:19 AM12/13/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I'm running 0.9.19 and don't have this problem. Can you share your mu4e
configuration?

henry atting

Dec 13, 2017, 3:14:20 PM12/13/17
to mu-discuss
Okay, here you are:

(require 'mu4e)

(setq
  mu4e-maildir       "~/misc/post"
  mu4e-sent-folder   "/all/Sent"
  mu4e-drafts-folder "/all/Drafts"
  mu4e-trash-folder  "/all/Trash"
  mu4e-refile-folder "/all/Archive")

(add-to-list 'mu4e-headers-actions
  '("untrash message" .
     (lambda (m) (mu4e~proc-move (mu4e-msg-field m :docid) nil "-T"))))

(setq mu4e-view-prefer-html nil)

(setq message-citation-line-format "")
(setq message-citation-line-function 'ignore)

(setq mu4e-user-mail-address-list '("ma...@mail.uk"
                                    "..."
                                ))

(setq mu4e-context-policy 'pick-first)
(setq mu4e-compose-context-policy 'ask)
(setq mu4e-html2text-command "w3m -dump -T text/html")

(setq mail-user-agent 'mu4e-user-agent)

Mark Skilbeck

Dec 13, 2017, 3:56:48 PM12/13/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Looks like that was introduced by commit
f060cb819687ad651a0f74aac21a9a4c8683718a which has version 0.9.19. So
you'll have to update you mu/mu4e install.

- mark

henry atting

Dec 14, 2017, 2:13:32 AM12/14/17
to mu-discuss
Many thanks!
So I have to do without forwarding. Mu (aka maildir-utils) has version 0.9.18 (in Debian), my self-compiled mu from git won't work with it.

Joost Kremers

Dec 14, 2017, 4:01:56 AM12/14/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Dec 14 2017, henry atting wrote:
> Many thanks!
> So I have to do without forwarding. Mu (aka maildir-utils) has
> version
> 0.9.18 (in Debian), my self-compiled mu from git won't work with
> it.

Apologies for butting in, but I don't get it. What is "it" in "my
self-compiled mu from git won't work with it"? You can install mu
and mu4e from source and all should work. In fact, it's a single
build process, just `./autogen.nd && ./configure && make && make
install'. No need to install anything from Debian's package
manager.

But even if you really can't install the latest mu/mu4e for some
reason, you should still be able to forward messages, you just
won't be able to forward them as attachment.

The thing is, judging by your error message, you seem to have
messed up your mu4e install:

,----
| error in process filter: if: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
| mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment
| error in process filter: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
| mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment
`----

The variable `mu4e-compose-forward-as-attachment' is used in an
if-construct in the file `mu4e-compose.el', and it's defined in
the file `mu4e-vars.el'. So you seem to be using a more recent
version of `mu4e-compose.el' and an older version of
`mu4e-vars.el'.

My advice would be to start from scratch. Remove the maildir-utils
package, remove any traces of any source-compiled mu and mu4e,
quit Emacs, clone the git repo and start from there.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

henry atting

Dec 14, 2017, 8:08:27 AM12/14/17
to mu-discuss
I started from scratch as you proposed. And it works fine now.
In this case I find it quite acceptable to bypass the Debian package management.
And, when I think about it, some time ago I did change mu4e-compose.el for some reason.

Many thanks again!